Hi everyone - I'm buying a pony!

Tiny rider

Oct 28, 2014
Hello, I'm 40 years old, and only 4 foot 11. So I've always preferred to ride ponies, even though I'm fairly chunky (what having 2 children does to you!)

I had my first pony when I was 32 after a lifetime of dreaming, riding lessons and horse obsession!

Anyway now the kids are a little older and my farmer husband has agreed to yet another horse on the farm (I keep my daughter's 11.2 hh Welshie and my MIL has an elderly hunter) I am going horse shopping!

About 7 years ago I had a bad fall from my 14.2 h Fell pony. Since that and having kids I became VERY nervous about riding. So I went back to riding school and started again. I have no core strength or balance anymore, most depressing, but all I want to do is mooch round our farm, round up the sheep on hback and maybe do a very slow trot occasionally. My riding instructor has said I will be fine - the ponies I've had in the past were always too fizzy. I've never really been a good rider...I can't jump or do much more than a shifty looking leg yield, or ride a square shaped 20m circle but I adore/breathe/dream about horses.

I have, v carefully, got on my daughter's 11.2 but she did not like it all. I'm 9 .5 stone and she began to sag at the knees, so I got off quick!

I've been to see a 13.2 h Welsh sec c but he just wasn't right - v good in the stable and easy to ride, but when I rode him he was staring at everything and a bit too spooky for me. Tbh he was pretty bombproof but not quiet enough for my riding standard (wobbly!)

So tomorrow I'm dragging the family out to see a 11 year old 13.2 h piebald cob. Billed as bombproof and has been ridden by a young disabled boy. So... I'm excited but trying not to get my hopes up! I've got a budget of 1500...

Sorry for essay but I don't have horsey friends, or the ones I do have ride great big warmbloods and event

Reactions: kelp
Whoops it posted before I finished!

I mean to say my horsey friends event so that my hacking dreams on a short pony are something they don't get enthused by. I will enthuse to you lot instead :)

Reactions: kelp
Hello and welcome. And welcome also to the world of happy hacking despite being surrounded by impressive eventers and hunters.;) don't let them intimidate you, we are supposed to enjoy owning our horses and ponies, not stress about how we appear to others.

You will find loads of support on here...we range from the extremely able and competitive to the very unambitious and nervous happy hackers like myself. Good luck for the viewing.:)

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Hi :) Welcome to the forum. There are a number of pony-owning adults on here and a load of "happy hackers", so don't worry that you'll be alone! Not that there is anything wrong with big fancy horses, but ponies are just too cool! I'm lucky enough to get the best of both worlds, as I own a 12.1 gelding and a 14.2 mare who I love to bits and they are both dead fun, but I also get to play with a bunch of gorgeous showjumpers as part of my job. The showjumpers are all super horses but I still don't think they come close to my hairy beasties... the best things come in small packages, and all that :D

I got my first ever pony when I was 50. He turned out a bit more of a handful than I expected, but we are still together 4 years on. He's a chunky Connemara type from Ireland, 14.1 or thereabouts. I'm 5 ft 2 and 10 stone and he wouldn't care if I brought my suitcase!

I hope you find the loveable plod of your dreams. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome! I am 39 and have my dream pony! I was looking for a gelding, about 15.2 plus, but ended up with a 14.2 chestnut warmblood mare! I am 5 foot 7 but a lightweight adult so it works out weight-wise and it's only been 4 months but so far I couldn't be happier with her. I prefer a smaller horse - not so far to fall! ;) Look forward to hearing all about your future horse exploits!

Welcome!

I look forward to reading about your hacking adventures and to read your future journey of increasing confidence (as im sure will happen when you find your perfect pony!)

How did the viewing go?

Welcome to the forum, I hope that you find the pony you are looking for. There are great ponies and horses out there, it just sometimes takes time to find them.

Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Hi and welcome :) Another aged, happy hacker here, hope your viewing went well and you'll soon be hacking round the farm on your lovely new neddy.

Hello and welcome! Looking forward to reading about your viewing/buying experiences. I'm yet another happy hacker and fan of ponies. 55 yo 5' 2" and chunky. There are some lovely steady unflappable beasties out there. Just be sure that the ponies you try aren't being ridden very regularly and actively. They could change in behaviour when not doing much work, however quiet they are when in a regular ridden routine. What you or I would want to do really classes as at best very light work, really.

Hi and welcome, I'm newish here myself,. 50 next and 5'6 and 12stone ( well just under ) [emoji12]
Come Saturday I've owned my horse for a whole year, can't believe it. All I ever wanted growing up, I've always rode ,someone else's, riding schools, cart horses, you name it,. Had a few lessons as a kid,and 3 with becca and thats about it. She's 16yrs , and a firey chestnut temperamental mare,16.3 hh Irish sports . Sometimes I think I've bitten off more than I can chew ,but we manage fine. I don't compete, just happy hacking.
Looking forward to hearing all about your horsey adventures [emoji206]

Reactions: Trewsers
Hi and welcome. I have a skewbald cob a bit bigger than your looking at and he is a real gent. Perfect for a first horse for me. I much prefer a cob to a welsh. Calmer imo, so might be more suited to your pottering. Take your time to look, dont rush it. If you dont think its right walk away. There are alot of horses out there for sale.

welcome and congrats :D I have a 13.1hh highland - she is only 4 so maybe will come up to 13.2hh ish but wont be much bigger. She is more than enough ‘horse’ for me :D

The first pony I shared was a 14.2 Highland who wouldn't have flinched at 16 stone. He thought I was a little bird perching on his back! He didn't take much more notice of me than of a bird, either - plodding was his favourite thing. Highlands are lovely.

newrider.com