Helpppp

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
someone please help i am so bloody lost with this! Right following on from my mud fever post! Restarted so i can get all the facts in up to now...

Right so cob gets small patch of mud fever on his back leg, just above heel, vet comes says wash once and treat with dry treatment.
washed and used lincoln dry treatment lincoln magic mud kure and muddy buddy also added naf mud guard supplment to his feeds and golab herbs immuplus supplment (vet thinks his immune system is down) also did a spray of topical anti biotic. All was going well he did get some very very small (half the size of little finger nail) patches when i did one of my twice daily feather checks, seemed to clear quickly.

vet came back out... Said it hadnt heeled as well as he would like (the worst part was still red and puffy) so gave me cream (flamazine) and said i must shave feather off, also said wash legs every night and dry before applying the cream and gave anti biotics to go in his feed.

shaved feather off, no sign of any mud fever anywhere other than the first orginal bit.

Also hes stabled every night now too.

but.... Yesterday mornings leg checked, couldnt see anything... Went To get him last night, front leg all bloody THREE new patchesof mud fever :(

now my issues are, firstly he cant stay stabled more than the night, he needs time out! Hes hating the stable, barely touches his haylage, sloshes his water all over, then tips the buckets, kicks the door and thrashes about. Last two nights after longer turn out time hes beenalot better and settled, but keen to get out in the mornings. So hes still going in the wet field.

other issue is i am SO bloody confused! I thought feather protected the legs, when hehad feather deep in the feather was dry and clean, now he has no feather the skin is constantly wet so i feel like shaving it was the wrong choice?

Also im hosing every night, vets advice... Cold water? Already sore skin? I feel like thats wrong. But then his legs are so muddy?? What should i do?

next.. Flamazine cream seems absolutly crap, I massage it in really well and come the morning its all gathered in one place, so have to re rub it in :( and the dirt seems to stick to it and end up as a goey mass on his legs!

i am stressing like mad over it, yard owner is now pissed off im still needing a stable (not my fault grounds so wet still!!) since yesterday morning its just ALOT worse! Already. Spent nearly £400 on the vet and the treatments i brought, currently out of work so that was a big blow but not just about the money... Will it ever clear up? cen he be ridden with mud fever if he isnt lame? (When everywheres dried up)

never had to deal with this! Mega lost right now,

also who reccomeneded the cling film treatment? Was thinking of trying it with the honey heel cream, as this vet cream is just rubbish really! But only thing with honey heel n a stable is itl get beddingstuck to it so needs wrapping. Any one had mud fever issue please give me step by step idiots guide to the threatments u used, il try anything!

oh and last 3 days here no rain, grounds wet but not as wet and sloppy as it was, so id thought itd be improving especially with 12-15 hours in a stable :(

The trouble with feather is that while it can protect it can also hide a multitude of sins, and once you've got a problem it can make topical treatment difficult as well as keeping air from the site. So clipping all the feather off very short will mean you can get creams/powders straight to the site as well as air & light to dry everything up.

Mud fever can spread very easily once the skin is compromised, you need to be very careful not to touch uninfected areas after you've treated infected areas.

No matter what the vet says I'd be wary of washing daily, you make the skin wet & vulnerable plus anything more than the gentlest of hosing means you damage the delicate healing cells at the edges of the sore areas. Personally if the fields are that wet & the mud fever bad enough that the vet has given antibiotics I wouldn't be turning out for a few days - he may not be impressed but he'll just have to deal with it & he can be ridden out on the roads for exercise.

Flamazine cream is really good stuff, but I wonder if you're rubbing it in well enough or if the feather isn't trimmed close enough. If he has heavy feather it can still be hard to get through the stubble & I suspect what you're seeing is some of it travelling back along the hair by the morning. You could try wrapping in clingfilm after applying & then bandaging in place.

Are the legs really really dry before you put anything on? If all hair isn't off, and I doubt you'd take heavy feather off a sore leg that closely, then you almost need a hair dryer to make sure that it's thoroughly dry - washing & towelling won't make it dry enough to apply cream & that's another reason for keeping in.

Mud fever is a pain, and until the fields are dry you're going to struggle :(

Yes everything carthorse says. Flamazine is good stuff, I had it twice for Chloe. But the feathers really do need to go and then anything you put on can really get a chance to work properly. I wouldn't wash every day either. Sending lots of healing vibes too, it's a frustrating complaint!

As you probably saw from my thread from Xmas I had similar with vet treatment, I wouldn't go the clipping and scrubbing route again personally unless it was a heavy feathered beastie as even in 12 hours the feathers keep it wet underneath. My friends tip years ago was to dry with good quality kitchen towel and dab, don't rub, as that absorbs much more water than towels. Then leave to air dry for an hour or two before putting cream on. Jess stayed out with hers, but fields aren't muddy, and MTG plus worked wonders.

Reactions: Prjsmk
@carthorse hes washed, towels and then in the empty stable till he in properly dry on the leg, all 4 legs shaved close to the skin' he had onle ONE sore and that was the very first on the original post/pic... There wasnt another single sore or red patch it was all gone, thats why i was so annoyed i had shaved the feathers. Dont apply anything untill his legs are bone dry as dont want to trap water moisture in. Didnt know u can treat infected area and cant touch another. Will keep that in mind. Trust me spent ages rubbing that bloody cream in lol!

@Trewsers stopping the washing as from today. :)

@Jessey i regret clipping the feather as i had already scissor cut the sore bit near the skin and the scabbed sore bitwas hairless as it came out with the scab, so could get the cream there fine.

hes had honey heel rubbed all over today and cling filmed for 6 hours, when undone cream looked to have soaked in nicely

@Jane&Ziggy more stressful for him being stabled, i have no idea what he was doing with his resp lick lack night but it was everywhere this morning! On his face, his side, his legs, the walls, down the stable door... Kicked him out, chucked all the bedding out had to hose and scrub all the walls!!! What a bloody looney! No tractor wallpaper of he doesnt behave ;)

I use to have a Arab with four white stocking her legs would get so bad they would swell up.

She would have to be kept in. Washed the first day dan dried once dry flamzine added wrapped in cling film left all day. Remove film use kitchen towel to wipe over area reapply cling film leave.

Once all gone I swear by the Lincoln muddy buddy range

Reactions: carthorse
@eml waiting for some turnout boots to be delivered, got some off ebay.

update for everyone, not looking bad at the moment. Fingers crossed stays that way. He was turned out twice today for an hour or so each time but grounds very wet and boggy so hes filthy shall i just brush the mud off?

No, leave it to dry then rub off gently with something like a rubber curry comb if you must clean them. If you brush you risk scratching the skin which makes it easier for infection to get a hold.

This was my regime for Kia’s lymphocytic vasculitis. It started off as a 5p bit of what looked like mud fever and spread to all white bits of his body.

Shave the legs to the skin, wash with savlon (mild but antibacterial) then dry thoroughly each leg using the butt drying side to side motion.this also removed scabs, I washed the towels daily, Once the legs are dry I had to apply zinc and castor oil cream that the vet had put a topical steroid into.

This I did daily, for weeks, he was too sore to walk it was heartbreaking to watch.

This was my regime for Kia’s lymphocytic vasculitis. It started off as a 5p bit of what looked like mud fever and spread to all white bits of his body.

Shave the legs to the skin, wash with savlon (mild but antibacterial) then dry thoroughly each leg using the butt drying side to side motion.this also removed scabs, I washed the towels daily, Once the legs are dry I had to apply zinc and castor oil cream that the vet had put a topical steroid into.

This I did daily, for weeks, he was too sore to walk it was heartbreaking to watch.
This was sox too. The LV for sox spread like wild fire.

No, leave it to dry then rub off gently with something like a rubber curry comb if you must clean them. If you brush you risk scratching the skin which makes it easier for infection to get a hold.
So the drymud can stay? if he doesnt need to be clean?

I would have no problem with dry mud, but in a deep dry bed you'll find a lot comes off as it dries anyway.

I would have no problem with dry mud, but in a deep dry bed you'll find a lot comes off as it dries anyway.
Yes i did notice by morning its almost clear

the mud fever isnt looking too bad at the moment, one scab left and its bloody but i think hes catching it because he over reaches, cant use over reach boots as the top of them would be right on the scab too! Applied some cream tonight, got lincoln muddy buddy mud kure cream, which goes on SO well! Only applied to the scab as the rest is all looking ok. Hopefully get him back in to work this work (lunging first) if the weather stays ok and ground dries

newrider.com