Help with working hunter class required...

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I am doing my first working hunter class on Sunday (have just decided to enter now). I have never done this before, can anyone give me advice on:

1. What to wear? I am guessing shirt and tie, cream jods, black boots, short whip. I have a black show jacket and a tweedy navy jacket. Which one is more suitable?

2. What happens during the showing phase? I have been told I have to get off and take my saddle off?

3. How do I need to plait? I normally do a Spanish plait as his mane is very long, but do I need to plait traditionally?

Any help is much appreciated. xxx

The layout may depend slightly on the show, but from my former showing groom days it's likely to be that you jump first (over a course of rustic fences - there's likely to be a water tray, too). Depending on the level of the sjow, they may only call the clear rounds or top 4 faults in for the group and individual showing phase, but if it's a local show then they may call everyone back in anyway.

In the showing phase you'll go around as a group at w/t/c on both reins and you'll be asked to show an extended canter or gallop providing there is room. You'll get called into a line up by the judge to perform an individual show. You may be asked to remove saddle to show conformation - but my memory is hazy on this as the person I worked for at the time only had her WH a short time before she moved into cob showing.

Turnout wise definitely regular plaits over a running plait. Wear your tweed instead of your black/navy jacket - don't forget hairnet & gloves too. Do you have a showing cane you could use instead of a short whip?

Above all, good luck & have fun :)

Reactions: Mary Poppins
At the show I wrote up for the WHP class did not strip, the full size working hunters did. Everything else as @Pete's Mum says. Have you got a velvet hat?

Have a wonderful time, I've always thought that Working Hunter was a very interesting class. I hope you win!

Jess competes our Lunan working hunter and we never stripped just jumping round and show round.. I always thought tweed was correct except for show hunters. I don't know about plaiting as out M & M are shown naturally, unplated
I enjoy waiting the WH classes .... Its much more exciting than plain showing classes.

Good luck and don't forget lots of photos :)

Thank you all. I do have a velvet hat, but it has a fixed peak and I didn't think you were allowed to jump in that?

Someone has lent me a tweed jacket but it is so hot, I fear I may faint after 5 minutes of riding in it. I think that I will have to wear my black one.

I do have a show cane, but I need my short whip to encourage forward movement!

It's a local show but fairly big - there are 7 rings in total! Hopefully it will go well! xx

I need to go and look at the professional pictures because no-one else took any of me when I was jumping. I have a lovely headshot of him showing off our rosette but can't seem to get it off my phone. I will try again.

He was beyond perfect. The show was huge with 7 rings and hundreds of horses. Ben didn't once spook or even flick an ear at all the people, noise, tents etc. So many people had problems with the course, the fences were small, but they were properly dressed with plants, fillers etc. and we all pretty solid looking. Ben just popped over everything, despite the fact that we had never jumped a rustic fence before. When we were in the showing phase I asked for extended canter and on one aid he responded and flew. I couldn't believe we were going so fast! We lead the lap of honour with pride, having never done one before and everyone watching was so lovely and gave us all a big clap.

It was a wonderful day where everything went right. I couldn't be prouder and am currently sat drinking champagne that had been sitting in our fridge for a few months waiting for a special occasion. This is a very worthy occasion for it.

newrider.com