Help me write a 'share wanted' ad.

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
Have decided to bite the bullet and put up an ad to see if i can get a share.

I have been having 2 lessons per week for the past 18mnths and now i am fed up going round in circles, i want to hack out in the beautiful countryside.
To do this at the riding school twice a week costs too much (£63 quid for 3 hours) and 3 hours is just not enough:(

Was thinking of an ad in RS and local shops saying.

PONY/HORSE share wanted. Kind and responsible adult looking for a pony to love and hack out 2/3 days per week. I am pretty inexperienced but sensible and willing to learn. Happy to do any chores required and make financial contribution.

How does this sound? Its hard to know what to say as i don't want to sound like a complete doughnut but also don't want to sound like i know more than i do.

I think that's fab, add a little more detail though. Perhaps something like this:

Share/part loan wanted for responsible, willing adult rider in the XXX area. I have been having regular lessons for 18 months and I am now seeking a horse/pony approx. 13.2hh - 15hh to hack out, love and fuss. Age/looks unimportant. I am happy to make a financial contribtion as well as help out with all chores so I can further my horsey knowledge. Also happy to sign a contract etc. Please contact me with details, 07XXXXXXXXX.

Sounds ok to me but maybe not put "inexperienced", I know you're trying not to hype youself up but dont underestimate your ability either! Could you swap it for something like "slightly rusty"...

ETA i like what Midnight Ashes has written for you!

I'd be worried about putting slightly rusty as it suggests i have forgotten stuff but there are just so many things i don't know. I only started riding in my late teens/early 20's so i missed pony club and it seems that is where most people i know learn all these little things.

let me give you an example. Turning out horse after riding, been doing this for past 6 months because my afternoon lesson is last of the day. So RI just told me 'put him out now' but i have always just gone and done this, never been shown how. I thought it was easy. Take saddle off in yard and pop over fence. Lead horse to field and once we are in the field i pop reins up over horses head, undo bridle and gather reins+ head piece and slip bridle off. Slip my trusted steed a herby treat and off he goes. BUT just the other day i was watched doing this for the first time and told i shouldn't put reins over head to take off, should hold in my hand whilst undoing bridle. Of course this makes total sense but it is just another thing that i never knew and never thought of.:eek: And a reminder of how little i know.

Midnight ashes

Thanks for that yours does sound so much better. Totally forgot to say about what type of horse id be looking for altho i am not fussy as long as its sane. Altho i do like them chunky and i like to be near the ground!! Could i put big chunky pony with short legs or do you think that'd be too fussy? :D:D

You could always say something like 'I'm a big fan of chunky ponies but will consider any breed/age/height/build so long as it's safe and sensible' and maybe add your height/weight? Also if any times/days you can't do? Do you always have your own transport?

Do you want to school? Have access to a RI?

Hi BC! Not bothered about schooling would just want to hack really.

There is a woman who lives within walking distance of me who has just taken on two of the 'retired' ponies from the RS. I know she hasn#t had a chance to do anything with them yet and she is i think in her 70's. I am considering going round and asking if she needs any help with them. i would be happy to groom them, poo pick etc and ride them out around the forest tracks where we live. They are both chunky native ponies who up until 4 months ago had a busy riding school life. At the moment they are just grazing and getting fat!! I'm sure they think they have died and gone to heaven!

I have ridden one of them alot in the past and the other one i know on the ground which would make me feel more confident than going into a share with an unknown pony/horse.

Just trying to find the balls to go round and ask.

I like MA's edit too. I'd also add that you have your own transport if that's the case.

Suspect you'll have your hand bitten off :D

There is a woman who lives within walking distance of me who has just taken on two of the 'retired' ponies from the RS. I know she hasn#t had a chance to do anything with them yet and she is i think in her 70's. I am considering going round and asking if she needs any help with them. i would be happy to groom them, poo pick etc and ride them out around the forest tracks where we live. They are both chunky native ponies who up until 4 months ago had a busy riding school life. At the moment they are just grazing and getting fat!! I'm sure they think they have died and gone to heaven!

I have ridden one of them alot in the past and the other one i know on the ground which would make me feel more confident than going into a share with an unknown pony/horse.

Get your bum round there! If you don't ask you don't get :D

Get round there right now! You are WASTING perfectly good hacking weather.

Everybody ignore*minkersmum until she has got her bum over there :D

*Not bullying mods, encouragement!!

Typical!! Just walked round with my 3 year old in tow (made a 10 min walk a 20min walk altho saw two beautiful deer:)) and there was no one home.:(

I was thinking maybe pop a note in her post box saying who i am and would she be interested in some help poo picking, grooming, exercising them etc but is it weird to write a note when she probably won't know who i am, whereas if she sees me she will recognise me as i always ask after the ponies when i meet her in the village and have had conversations about where i live etc.

I am such a worrier. My hubby alwyas says he's hate to be inside my head!!

So is a note a good idea with a phone number or better to call round again??

newrider.com