Hello from NZ

3QuarterClyde

Mar 13, 2017
Hi All, I'm new to the forum but very happy to have stumbled across the site.

I started riding lessons at age 28years and have ridden on-off around having 3 children since. I owned my first horse for 3 years before finding him dead in the paddock just before moving him to our new lifestyle block. It was pretty devastating.

Horse number 2 was an OTTB eventer who was recommended by my instructor, but became a bit of a disaster and was realistically too much horse for my mostly happy hacking self. After sticking it out (actually "sticking" punctuated by many falls) for a year and essentially losing most of my riding confidence, I broke my shoulder after a bolting/uncontrolled racehorse moment down a gravel road and decided I needed to sell. He has gone to a lovely new home with an event rider who is taking him up the levels and kindly sends me updates. My lemon = her unicorn.

I went back to weekly lessons as soon as I could use my arm and have gradually regained my confidence, riding all different horses and learning to jump. It's been a long haul and like many adult riders i still doubt my ability all the time. I was lucky to be able to hack out on my neighbours older tb/arab who can be hot but completely honest. Galloping on the beach was probably one of the best things for my confidence after the bolt..knowing I could be balanced and in control at full tilt. Lol I now realise the trouble mostly happens when the energy is directed up and not forward!

In NZ we tend to paddock our horses 24/7 and the lease/Share system is much rarer. Most riders own their own horses and pay grazing, or own their own land. Barns or livery are almost foreign concepts where I live . There also seems to be a heap of crooked horse people so finding my unicorn was a bit of an ugly road..which is why I decided to buy an unbroken rising 4 year old clydie cross.

My current boy Murphy is a 3/4 clydesdale who has been back home a month after breaking in. He is a treasure of a horse and I feel like I have won the lottery with his lovely disposition. He is such a different ride to all the TBs I have ridden it's hard not to get a bit anxious by his massive movement (he power-walks and feels like he is about to charge off but then I have to boot him if I want to trot 4 steps ..lazy clydie). I am focusing on hacking him out for a year with more experienced company and getting help if I create any issues.

Murphy shares his home with a grand old lady 24yr arab/kaimanawa full height pony and a 10hh overgrown mini who is a complete bully to other horses and a complete gem with my kids.

Welcome to the forum. Glad you have found your unicorn. Ahem.... Pics??!!

Hi and welcome :) He sounds adorable I can't wait to see some pics of him and his mates :D It sounds lovely that most of the horses in NZ all live out and aren't stuck in stables..

I'm from NZ too! What city are you? Welcome, and sounds like you've found your unicorn, yay!

Hi and welcome to NR :) I have a huge soft spot for Clydesdales, please if we ask really nicely would you post some pictures of your lovely boy, he does sound a real gem.

Reactions: 3QuarterClyde
The sweatshirt I am wearing today says "Ride a real horse, ride a Clydesdale" :)

newrider.com