Head shaking and sweet itch!!

Gem85

Apr 15, 2017
Hi all I'm new here,
I have a 7 year old cob who over the last year a or so has begun to head shake his saddle and teeth etc have been checked I have just started him on global herbs shake free, I just wondered if anyone has any other tips or remedys they use? Also he has started with sweet itch! It's only just started so hopefully caught in time before he does too much damage to him self! Tips on this would also be appreciated thank you. X

I have a headshaker. I put a nose net on mine. Not solved but did ease. There are a couple of useful Facebook groups which give lots of info as headshaking (sorry NR to steer away from here). Its such a strange one as there are so many possible causes and remedies. What works for one doesn't work for another.
ie seasonal, sun, wind, pollen, light to name but a few
Treatment ivermectin 3 doses several weeks apart, riding correctly, pens, nose net, fly / ear veil, etc
Shout if you want to know the group names to join.
I brought a shires sweetitch rug cheap at the end of last season which i have put on mine for the summer. Not that mine has sweet itch, its more to keep him clean but it does cover him well. I have heard good things but again they don't work for all.

Reactions: Lollykay
My loan horse started head shaking last year. A ri told us to get a nose net which we use with an ear bonnet. It's make a big difference.
I rode yesterday and she was shaking her head snorting for the first 5 minutes then settled down.
If you try a nose net, make sure you get one that covers the nose properly as the first one we bought was cheap and not very big so didn't make any difference.

Another who would say try a nose net and fly veil for the head shaking, I don't remember the name of mine as I've not needed it for Belle, it was quite expensive but made quite a difference to my old horse. No idea on the sweet itch but Im sure you'll get some more very helpful advice.
Welcome to NR too by the way :)

newrider.com