Grrrr Livery Yards

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Sorry, don't ususally use the forum for venting purposes but..... Arggghhh

Our yard is mostly self governing. You can book the arena for private lessons but no-one books it when it is busy. The busiest time for the arena is a Monday as the RS is closed. So all the schoolkids pile in on a Monday after school. My kids used to love that session but since having Oscar they prefer the arena quiet and calm. So on a Monday I tack up Oscar, then nip to school to pick them up. They rush out, change in the car and we are usually on and riding by 3:30 - the other kids then start coming in from about 3:45-4 after they have had a chance to walk up, get their ponies in and tack up. Gives us up to half an hour which isn't much but it's better than nothing.

Yesterday, bizarrely, no-one else came in. It was a lovely day so it was a bit puzzling but we weren't complaining! After we finished, we did our jobs and went home. I then got contacted by the YO saying it was unreasonable for me to book the arena for 2 HOURS on a Monday as it was such a popular time. Apparently some-one was telling everyone down on the yard that I had it booked it so no-one else came up to ride. So there's me thinking 'where is everyone', there were others who missed out on riding for no reason and everyone else having a good old rant about my selfish behaviour. Of course no-one checked the diary and no-one came to speak to me! They just muttered and grumbled and then complained to the YO.

This wasn't so much getting the wrong end of the stick as simply inventing a stick and then getting all hot under the collar about the unreasonableness of the invented stick! Grrr horsey people do my head in sometimes.

Reactions: SeeingSpots
How annoying! Have you told the YO you didn't book the school? I hate the cattyness of livery yards, someone always has something to say, even when you try and keep yourself to yourself.

I'm moving from a small private yard with only 3 of us to a big busy livery yard at the end of April and I'm dreading the yard politics :oops:

Oh how annoying. I hope you told her that you had done no such thing.

I am on a large yard with an rs as well. It is not bitch at all we don't have any yard politics.

So not all yards are like it.

There is a lot of resentment and jockeying for position in other walks of life, but I do wonder if the dominance of competing and marks and results in the horse world doesnt encourage people to be mean?

Sorry, don't ususally use the forum for venting purposes but..... Arggghhh

Our yard is mostly self governing. You can book the arena for private lessons but no-one books it when it is busy. The busiest time for the arena is a Monday as the RS is closed. So all the schoolkids pile in on a Monday after school. My kids used to love that session but since having Oscar they prefer the arena quiet and calm. So on a Monday I tack up Oscar, then nip to school to pick them up. They rush out, change in the car and we are usually on and riding by 3:30 - the other kids then start coming in from about 3:45-4 after they have had a chance to walk up, get their ponies in and tack up. Gives us up to half an hour which isn't much but it's better than nothing.

Yesterday, bizarrely, no-one else came in. It was a lovely day so it was a bit puzzling but we weren't complaining! After we finished, we did our jobs and went home. I then got contacted by the YO saying it was unreasonable for me to book the arena for 2 HOURS on a Monday as it was such a popular time. Apparently some-one was telling everyone down on the yard that I had it booked it so no-one else came up to ride. So there's me thinking 'where is everyone', there were others who missed out on riding for no reason and everyone else having a good old rant about my selfish behaviour. Of course no-one checked the diary and no-one came to speak to me! They just muttered and grumbled and then complained to the YO.

This wasn't so much getting the wrong end of the stick as simply inventing a stick and then getting all hot under the collar about the unreasonableness of the invented stick! Grrr horsey people do my head in sometimes.

I liked this because it made me chuckle, not at what happened but how some people make an assumption and then forward that assumption to other people, resulting in THIS. It annoys me, as do horsey people also. Not all horsey people obviously but some drive me mad.

I'm lucky as my livery yard is relatively small and it's a generally nice yard with next to no bitching (that I know of haha!) but I've been on some awful yards before, the worst. Yards where everyone has an opinion on your horse and how you should be caring for it, working it etc, where tools get stolen, head collars go missing and all sorts. It's horrendous. We have our own lockable tack rooms at my yard within our stable so things never go walkabout and to be honest, I don't think they would anyway as people are alright on there but honestly, some yards are horrendous.

I have told the YO who has texted those who complained. Can't do much about the others who were annoyed but didn't complain. I have plenty of friends at the yard who all think it's hilarious: A bunch of wittering gossips missing out on riding while I had the arena all to myself! So I have calmed down. It is generally a nice yard with good facilities and I am there for the riding not the social anyway.

Some people have too much time on their hands! I'm lucky in that our yard is small and I basically have a whole block to myself as my two are the only two that come in at night in our block. But I do hear gossip and bitching every now and then. I just never pass on what I hear!

Is it possible that it was just a misunderstanding and someone had thought you booked the school? If it's the first time it's happened, I wouldn't get too wound up by it.

To be honest, I would go to my YM over approaching a livery if I felt something needed addressing - not to be underhand, but it's what the YM is there for and it's usually easier all round.

We are not allowed to book our school so the problem wouldn't arise. It is a shame that no-one came to speak to you directly about it though. Hope you are not too upset, it is horrible when other people are talking about you, especially when you haven't done anything wrong.

Someone being in the school isn't a big deal is it.
They could have hacked out, used the fields, oh checked the dam diary!:rolleyes:

newrider.com