Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Group lessons qustion

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by RayRay, Aug 11, 2017.

1. RayRay

RayRay Member

Anyone do group lessons how long.if did.it take you so how long did it take you to go form one grade to anothor?

2. Laura44

Laura44 New Member

I always have group lessons - I find them really beneficial. I'm a late starter to riding (started in Feb this year, aged 33), but am picking it up (I think!) quite nicely.
    My stables is super small and super friendly, so we don't have 'graded' groups - you book for whatever time you like and everybody rides together. I've never had a lesson with more than 8 in it, and that was a one off as they'd double booked! I find it really useful, as I get to see the more accomplished riders do their thing, and they also give me pointers and tips as we're going on. You also get the littlies in the lesson (I'm ALWAYS the only older adult, just about!) on the lead rein etc, but our instructors know everybody individually and know what level they ride to, and then when it's our turn to go, we get to do whatever we need to to progress. I've had a couple of private lessons in the early days, but find then (a) really tiring and (b) quite stressful as you don't have the light-hearted chat that seems to relax me or the tips from more experienced riders who've been where I am now and know how to get through it!

3. RayRay

RayRay Member

Yeah I do group lessons currently at the lowest grade in my riding school

4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. RayRay

RayRay Member

Oh I see so you don't groups for a beginner ridder and groups for the more advanced rider?

6. Laura44

Laura44 New Member

Nope, we're all in together - my stables is far too small to have segregated lessons, and I love it because from day one I've been surrounded by people who know what they're doing! I can't imagine being in a lesson with people all on the same level - I think I'm quite competitive so when I see an eight year old cantering perfectly, it kind of makes me want to do it better! If everyone in the lesson was at the same point, I wouldn't have that little spur on!
    How often do you ride and how have you been having lessons for?
    It might be worth asking your instructor when you can when they think you will be ready to move on if that's what you want to do. If they're anything like my instructors they'll know exactly what you're ready for and when!

7. RayRay

RayRay Member

at the moment i seem to ride to ride about everry 2 weeks(ish) thats becasue moeny i started in octomber but the lesson were less ragualer then i went a few muths between them for verrious reasons

8. KP nut

KP nut I'd rather be riding.

Personally I think mixed ability groups are less useful. Pony club lessons tend to be mixed ability and however much the instructor insists they can teach to any level, my girls get FAR more out of the lessons when they are with children of similar ability. 8 sounds far too many in a lesson too. 6 is tops for me!

Rayray, people tended to move up a level in our RS when they were confident, balanced and accurate at whatever level they were on. Generally they would be lead file for a lot of the lesson or used to demonstrate things like rising trot or be riding slightly more challenging horses. It took as long as it took! It was done on ability not time.

I remember a parent getting cross when my daughters moved up out of the novice class and her child didn't because her child could do all the things my daughters could. But to anyone watching it was pretty obvious that her pony was cutting corners, listening to the instructor not the rider, following the horse in front etc. Whereas my girls were riding their ponies 'properly'. If you think you are ready to move up but you are not being moved, just speak to your instructor to see where they think you are and what still needs work for the next group up.

9. RayRay

RayRay Member

I was actually just wordering

10. KP nut

KP nut I'd rather be riding.

Oh ok! Well I have no idea how long it will take!! But I hope you are enjoying it anyway!!!

11. RayRay

RayRay Member

Yeah I am. I am starting to ride more diffcult horses now

KP nut likes this.
  12. Nayumi1

Nayumi1 Member

I do group lessons every week which I started this year in April (late starter at 30). Originally we are placed into 30 minute classes for beginners. Once the instructor believes you are have the basics you are given a pass to graduate to the hour classes. I think some hour classes are a high level than others but i tend to float between classes depending on what time/day on the weekend I can go.

13. RayRay

RayRay Member

Ah yeah I don't actually ride on the same day and time every time next lesson is tomorrow

14. RayRay

RayRay Member

And also the first 2 grades are half an hour lessons and the higher grades are hour lessons

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties