Groin area hurts after riding

My dressage saddle sits me deep opens up my pelvis allowing my legs to drop longer. I don't feel locked in but more around my horse.

I think i would like to see examples to help me visualise it.

But arching lower back will tip unbalanced rider on to the pubic bone which will hurt after a while. Where pulling your tummy up and back will create lift in the mid section

Reactions: Jessey
Hey guys! So ive been riding for almost a year - 8 months. Recently for during my last 10 lessons (45 min lessons) or so, my groin area would hurt and swell and might even have slight bleeding. It might be because of my position as my instructor says I'm leaning forward. Any advice on how to lessen the pain? Thanks in advance. BTW I'm wearing jods and all and I don't get swelling on my thighs... and I'm a girl btw

Hi horselover55555,

I just experienced the same thing, causing bleeding and swollenness -almost sores- from the chaffing! The onset of the pain felt like a bad wedgie (TMI?) but for the past two lessons I have been suffering from the same as you described. It's terrrribly uncomfortable and makes me cringe thinking about it :-/

The cause: during the lesson that started the irritation I was sitting too far into the front of the English saddle while trotting. I came down a little too hard on the wrong part of my body and on the wrong part of the saddle (onto the cantle*) too many times causing unnatural chaffing, which triggered the soreness. I will clean the area and try to prevent chaffing -- haven't decided what kind of anti-chafe I will use -- to let the area heal, and try again at the next lesson with proper equitation.

Suggestions for other readers who are experiencing the same:
Wear a comfortable panty that fits and stays in place (no wedgies!)
Apply an anti-chafing cream, ointment, stick to the affected area before riding
Reevaluate your equitation; are you sitting properly?
Talk to your female instructor! Be open, especially because the discomfort affects your riding! and she possibly has experienced it, too.
Reschedule or postpone your next lesson to allow healing of the irritated skin
Be mindful that during menstruation the area can swell, and if it is such a problem then time your lesson schedule accordingly

*http://www.doranna.net/wordplay/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/english-saddle-parts.png

newrider.com