good dressage saddle?

sophie33

Aug 8, 2004
London
This is a Friday afternoon speculative thread - rather than an immediate urgent question. But... I've been wondering if - when I have a bit more money - I might buy a dressage saddle for me and Flicka. Her current saddle is a Kent and Master GP 17 inch I think. But I've wondered if would help me to ride better if she also had a dressage saddle - in particular help my leg position. So... what would anyone recommend? What do you own and like? Just to aid my Friday afternoon wondering...

Lol buy mine!!!
I have a Ryder dressage saddle that I want to sell. It's in beautiful condition but nobody seems to want it! I tried selling locally but folk tend to exchange with the saddler.

I had the same idea as you @sophie33 - I really wanted a dressage saddle. When it came time to get a new one I was sure I would have a dressage but sadly it didn't work out for two reasons. First was because my knee stuck out over the flaps with normal length leathers or my feet dangled below Raf's sides with a longer length and second because Raf disliked all the dressage saddles we tried and to be honest he looked swamped in them.

I now covet a Stubben Phoenix jumping saddle lol.

Lol buy mine!!!
I have a Ryder dressage saddle that I want to sell. It's in beautiful condition but nobody seems to want it! I tried selling locally but folk tend to exchange with the saddler.
Ha! If you still have it when I actually have money - as opposed to daydreaming- I’ll come back to you!

Reactions: Trewsers
i had a thorowgood but hated it as it was so bulky and the panels were so deep - a common problem with modern TG’s apparently

being on a budget i really wanted to try and stick to synthetic and eventually i found a new (but 2nd hand) GFS Genesis on Preloved for £190. It takes the wintec gullets so no worries there and I swear it’s one of the comfiest saddles Ive ridden in. They aren’t made anymore but they do come up on ebay, preloved etc. If money was no object Id have had a Black Country, I have a M2M Wexford jumping saddle and it’s sublime but it broke the bank!!

My boy is a bloody shapeshifting beast, so a “good” dressage saddle will be “the one that fits, and is adjustable.”

June: buy Thorowgood T8 Anatomical GP saddle with adjustable gullet.
End of June: change gullet as he’s changed shape with more exercise.
Mid July: change it back.
Mid August: get LeMieux prosorb sheepskin half pad to stop saddle moving.
End Aug: put shim pads into half pad to stop it moving.
September: 6 weeks box rest with possible leg fracture.
End October: back in work, walking.
November: change gullet
December: change it back
Late Dec: add even more padding into half pad.

There would be literally NO point in me getting one that’s not adjustable...

o_O

Saying that, anyone want to buy my Dressage saddle? Bought it because it was a freaking bargain and worth a punt. It didn’t quite fit (balance was wrong)... English Leather, Walsall made, 17.5” MW, sprung tree, long girth straps (in v reasonable order)Havana brown... looks lovely...;)

I have thorowgood, the old griffin style. Absolutely love it. Easy to look after and nice to ride in. I've a working hunter saddle for Kez which is a great compromise between dressage and GP. mine is a native pony saddle company Glen. Highly recommend

Sensation dressage and love it. Use for everything planned and unplanned. So hacking, flatwork, little jumps and anything she throws into the mix like the odd 180.
If your lower leg tends to move its your core that needs to strengthen. Saying that mine has lost weight so I have just gone up a hole leathers wise, now my leg is back being secure.

You could also buy mine if you like, it’s a Phoenix treeless Heather Moffet. I loved it for Oscar (TB) but it just isn’t stable on Belle, so has sat in my spare room for the last 6 years or so.
They are not everyone’s cup of tea but it certainly helped my position.

I love my Kent and Masters dressage saddle. It makes me much more secure in my lower leg position and makes me sit nice and upright. I also have a jump saddle that I use for jumping and hacking. If you can afford one, I would go for it.

I have 2 Stubben Tristans that I love! I have a very old style one which is very very nice to ride in, big flat seat and next to no knee roll; and a newer one with a bigger knee roll and softer seat. I mainly do endurance riding and find the dressage saddles give me the most balanced position for all the kilometres.

newrider.com