GFS genesis pony saddle..any good?

miramis

May 11, 2011
Im looking for an adjustable saddle for our 'cuddly' (ok fat!) welshie as she varys from summer to winter from a med/wide to wide fit, although possibly a bit broader at the moment. Her present saddle is a hi-lite elite (self adjusting) saddle but i hate it and fear its pinching so its going on ebay!!. looking at the GFS as i want something adjustable, anyone use one? are they any good??.

Dont want to spend a fortune as we intend to either loan or sell her next spring/summer.

Ang

I've not seen one directly - I do find that so many pony saddles tend to perch on the really wide flat ones, no matter how wide the tree angle. It's silly because these companies have wider flatter trees with broader heads but they restrict them to the larger seat sizes. In pony saddles the head is often a little narrow and the tree not quite the right shape from front to back. If I get to see one in the flesh I could comment further...

I understand why most people want adjustable but there are pros and cons to every saddle, including the fact that these adjustable trees are synthetic, and synthetic trees are just not quite as stable for these extreme fits.

I had a GFS one to try on madam, I liked it but it went no where near wide enough for her and was too curved in the panel. Looked really smart though! Poohsmate saw it on her and laughed.

Every time I go to the UK, I plan on doing a couple of days with my ex-boss (SMS fitter) and get my hands on all these saddles I'm 'missing out on' being out here! ;)

(Not that he'll let me dismantle any, unless I put them back together again! :D)

:bounce:
Out of interest, who did you train with over here?

newrider.com