Getting your horse back into work

Hayley and Tello

Dec 26, 2015
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me on getting my girl back into work... I have seen some plans but they involve hacking/roadwork etc and as I'm currently in process of building her confidence via groundwork we are not ready to hack yet (she is very unstable and unpredictable out of the school) so I wondered if anyone had any fitness building routines that do not involve hacking at current.
She has been worked in the pen as currently doing ground work but that is to build her handling skills and confidence up so its not really getting her fit ( even though she does spend the 1st 20 min of the session galloping and trotting around)
She has been under saddle few times in last year but only for ten min maybe 4/5 times in total... She is 6 and has had time out to mature after I bought her. She has had some incident on her back quarters that has caused muscle damage but this has been checked and she is OK to work and strengthen it back up. she does get tight and stiff at times with this and falls short and doesn't use correct diagonals all the time when it starts to stiffen up....
I'm just clueless as to how and what I should do to start building her up again.

Any suggestions would be of great help!!!!

Thanks in advance

Reactions: SeeingSpots
Hi welcome to NR :D if I couldn't hack I'd probably start with long reining in the school, really asking for good quality walk and introduce some poles to encourage that, this can later be used when you start taking her out too :)

newrider.com