From fat to fit ( A plus size riders diary)

I've lost 2 stone and kept it off for many years just by incorporating exercise into my day.

If there's any way you can walk to the yard regularly then I would try and do that, I don't know how far your yard is however or if it would be practical for you to do this.

My yard is to far for me to walk to its 8 miles from the City but one day it could be cycle able...I used to cycle 10 miles a night after work.

Reactions: joellie
I know that we're all different, but my experience of the 5:2 diet has been very different from Skibs. I'm a great fan of it. I decided to allow myself 800 calories and see how I got on, as that seemed more doable, and cut down a bit more when I felt able to. The extra 300 calories made all the difference, and I was able to sustain it. I ate between about 650 and 800 on my "fasting" days, which I did 3 days a week.

What is different Russett?
I had nothing against the 5 : 2 diet. In 2014 I lost the weight I put on after I had my serious op. and got it down to what Maisie could carry easilly at the end of her life.
I didnt really enjoy my fasting days but I did the prescribed 600 calories and woke up rather early and hungry the next day. I found it particularly helpful when on a long holiday - by keeping to the diet just 2 days a week I could enjoy the special cooking the other days.

It wasnt the diet that was my problem. It was that after the diet, I regained weight rather faster than I had done after previous diets. A lot of it was back on after 4 years.

Russett if you put on 10 lbs in one year, that sounds the same experience - keeping it off after that diet sounds to have been worse for you than it has been for me.

I weighed myself this morning and I have lost my first 1 LB since starting back 4 days ago...so my plan is working and I am not at all hungry filling up on veg and fruit and recording what I am eating. Whoop whoop feels good to be back on a downward spiral :).... my challenge I am aiming for 52 LBS in one year, that 1lb a week. I know I can do that... not going to record every 1 LB I lose but wanted to be going down asap for motivation :D :D :D

I was thinking last night about weight loss.... and 1lb in 4 days is a pack of butter.... that is quite a lot to lose in a few days.... I have set my self the challenge of losing 52 lbs in a year..... 1lb a week = 52 packs of butter or 26 bags of sugar..... that seems such a lot but I will still be obese at the end of the first year if I manage my challenge. But as 2nd year of a similar challenge should take me to within my ideal weight....

Just my thoughts....

Reactions: joellie
I think the weekly weigh in that one gets at slimming clubs makes sense. Because over 4 weeks there should be a meaningful change. Water loss etc means ones weight can vary by 3-4 lbs. I noted my weight every Tuesday and it is only the overall picture that shows a drop.
I think My fitness pal is helpful in recording what I eat - but also over-optimistic. My guess is that if you are truly careful you will lose more than 1 lb a week for the first year and it will get harder to lose as you get lighter. That is partly because exercising when one has more weight on, takes more energy. And as one nears one's target the perceived benefit decreases too.

Reactions: Native Lover
Today Mel and Me went to a fun day at our friends place. I didn't ride her as it was a long day Jess gave her a ride round then H did the obstacle course on her...I spent the day watching or walking about holding Mel.... walked her in-hand to and from the event when I got home.... I weighed myself and I have lost another 1 lbs whoop whoop ....H and Melody came 4th in the pairs obstacle course :). here's some pics from today....

18880086_10213831538288101_152039429276797010_o.jpg

18839399_10213831579569133_6016973406269701974_o.jpg

18922683_10213831587489331_3205434816782616129_o.jpg

18814406_10213831483086721_1605225136280107885_n.jpg

18836770_10213831459846140_3252365503138867015_o.jpg

Last edited:
Oh gosh Melody is just beautiful.

My friend who looks after my horses when I can't is immense, she is 5ft 2 and 20 stone. She is always talking about how she needs to get started on losing the weight but she never does anything. I showed her this thread and she is inspired! Thank you!

Reactions: Native Lover
Week three upped my walking by 10 mins or 1 km....to 3.73 km.... I am going to do this walk twice a day.... it will be 10.000 steps. I have in 2 weeks lost 4lbs which is 4 packs of butter in weight. The walking is getting easier, I am finding it easier to do the distance and less out of breath now. boy am I pleased packed in smoking 9 years ago.

Last edited:
Week three upped my walking by 10 mins or 1 km....to 3.73 km.... I am going to do this walk twice a day.... it will be 10.000 steps. I have in 2 weeks lost 4lbs which is 4 packs of butter in weight. The walking is getting easier, I am finding it easier to do the distance and less out of breath now. boy am I pleased packed in smoking 9 years ago.

Great progress NL, I think it's great that you are taking the more sensible option of taking time to lose the weight, I am very lucky as have never been on a diet for weight loss, so can only imagine how difficult it must be, but better to change your food habits for more healthy options as you are doing, that way you will maintain it once your down to the weight you prefer.
Well done so far, you CAN do this.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com