Free TB Loking for NR Home :)

The problem is that some people see the word 'free' and their eyes light up. Either because they want to make some money from the horse and sell it on, or because they do not have the finances to buy a horse (and probably keep it as well) or maybe they think that they may as well because they have nothing to lose. Putting a small fee on the horse (£500 ish) keeps these types of people away and attracts the more serious horsey people. It is surprising how many people can lie and appear genuine when they are trying to get something for nothing.

Of course if the owner wants to pass on the horse to someone they know and wishes to give it to them for free, this is different. But advertising a horse on the internet for free does worry me, even if it is just on New Rider. While we may be a 'NR community', we are all really a bunch of strangers to each other and who knows what is said is really the truth or not.

I also don't understand why an apparent healthy 6 year old is free? If he is sound, sane and able to be ridden, why is he free? It makes me think that there must be something wrong with him.

And that's the gamble you take. I woukd give him a home were I equipped with an extra box. If he's still around in the summer then he could come here to stay .

I don't know his history and breeding maybe that should be available by pm.

I think that this is a genuine request for a home .

But why would you take that gamble? I'd potentially be interested in a project, just not one likely to put me in hospital! There are loads of free/cheap project horses out there though and I'd be looking for one that wasn't a nutter. I need a lot of background info and at least a couple of test rides whether I am buying a horse or rehoming a rescue. I suppose if you've got land and money it's not a problem, but having already been missold one mad horse that I had to rehome for free (which I did as a companion only, with full disclosure about all her behavioural issues) it cost me at least £5-6K in livery fees and paying trainers to try and get her sorted which, unfortunately, proved impossible. Who can afford that?!

I know people who have been hospitalised by horses who cost them a small fortune. And others, like me, whose free horses have turned out to be absolute stars. Free doesn't necessarily mean you're getting a nutcase and spending ten grand doesn't guarantee anything either!
A client of ours in France got a free horse as a 2-year-old who ended up jumping 1.40m tracks with ease. You never know what you'll end up with!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I know people who have been hospitalised by horses who cost them a small fortune. And others, like me, whose free horses have turned out to be absolute stars. Free doesn't necessarily mean you're getting a nutcase and spending ten grand doesn't guarantee anything either!
A client of ours in France got a free horse as a 2-year-old who ended up jumping 1.40m tracks with ease. You never know what you'll end up with![/QUOTE

Yes and I agree. But the horse is classed as a rescue already why a rescue at six. And again I agree you can spend a lot of money and get a nutter or nothing and get a saint.

But unless you have money, land and balls to be able to take that risk I would not do it. But that is just me.

Plus what is a rescue..another thread I think.

The reason I said it's a minefield is more cause it sounds like the owner wants the best for her horse but being free I'd worry about it being tethered in someone's front garden!! I kid you not people are excellent at lying if they are to gain in a situation and finding the right home would be a minefield. I know the likes of horses4homes send welfare inspectors out beforehand and do ID checks ( which would put many off) and there's always the option of permanent loan then at a later date signing ownership over once entirely satisfied the horse is in the right home. x

but you said OBC " whatever the reason" they shouldnt be free so I presumed that covered everything? An owner can be a complete moron whether they have been given a horse for free or they have paid £5k for it. I dont think it matters? Its upto the owner whos giving it away to ensure its going to the correct home, they must take responsibility not just whoever answers an advert first.

Reactions: MrC
I personally don't think home checks would always be of use but do think it would put certain types off, I have a friend who ran a rescue years ago without home checks and she explained that someone could live in a caravan and their cat for example may be their world but someone could live in a castle and work that much they hardly saw their cat!!! That is so true but I do think with a horse it's a minefield, if it were me I'd loan and then gift the horse to the loaner once I was convinced I'd chosen the right home. xx

Vet checks are the best thing! agree simply looking at a home is not enough

A gamble because you really don't know what you are getting. Even if you ask all the relevant questions. I'm not entering in to an argument . It was just my observations

Im not sure a price tag stops anyone overhorsing themselves, it can stop some taking it just because and it later being starved or something, but you've probably got a 60/40 chance of that if you ask £500 for it. I had concerns the other way when a friend was paying money for mistreated horses, I posted a thread somewhere and very valid points were made as to why it might be okay.

Reactions: tikkitti
Im not sure a price tag stops anyone overhorsing themselves, it can stop some taking it just because and it later being starved or something, but you've probably got a 60/40 chance of that if you ask £500 for it. I had concerns the other way when a friend was paying money for mistreated horses, I posted a thread somewhere and very valid points were made as to why it might be okay.
Your 100% right IMO it's not about price although the word free will always attract the ungenuine along with the genuine, the problem being weeding out ungenuine ones then genuine ones that are unsuitable. x

Reactions: Jessey
as regards a gamble, I actually like a project. I recently paid very little for a horse as she sounded my type.. bought from a picture ! couldnt see as snow hampered travel. She is wonderful but hasnt done as much as the owners said so shes being worked on. TBH I enjoy training something then buying something robotic ! yes you could get something thats 100% and ready to go quite easily, but that would bore me!

I haven't read all the replies, There are a lot of free horses out there, whether your asking for £1 or £100000 it doesn't matter.

If I'd had the time and money I'd have taken him as he's a good height and a good age to restart.

Hope you done a good home for him

Reactions: Native Lover
newrider.com