Field progress (new pics)

Not seen any more signs of intruders this week :D though aparently my neighbour heard some hollering on Thursday night at about 11pm, perhaps the extra barbed wire and electric got them :D

I've brought the ponies down to graze today, 5 hours on and they've hardly lifted their heads, but its scruffy old grass so I think they'll be OK.

I got the water pump back this morning (I had to have the cables extended) and dropped it in the bore hole, connected 50m of hose and did an initial test, water came out, so pulled the pump to secure everything better and some soggy lagging (probably fiberglass type stuff you put in a loft) and a dead mouse came with it :eek::( (I never did find a cap for the pipe so had just wedged a plastic box over it), I carried on and ran the pump for 30 mins and water flow was fair and cold but I could see little hair like fibres in the water and the water smelt funny :( So using that is off the cards for the minute, I'll call a pro next week for an opinion.

The back up plan is a go tho, I'll use the same pump to get water from the river :D I just need an additional 50m of hose to reach the ponies track.

I ordered 2 flood lights last night, 1 will run off a 12v battery in the barn as and when I need it, the other is a solar security light :) looking forward to those arriving in the week.

I also put the 1 shed window (that I didn't break during dismantling) back in and and boarded up the other and started moving a few little bits in :)

The tack cornerFB_IMG_1497708797552.jpg
Ana a couple of shelving unitsFB_IMG_1497708788626.jpg

Haha well after I'd packed up for the day I nipped back to get another container of water from the old yard and realised I already have 2 more hoses :rolleyes::oops: so I can hitch them up first thing before it gets too warm tomorrow, its meant to be hotter than today and my car was saying 34c when I left :eek:

Reactions: lauren123
Things are still ticking along, I hitched up the hoses and pump at the weekend and it worked but the pump struggled a little shoving the water up 100m of hose, it took 50 mins to fill a 100l tub o_O

I've moved another 2 loads of stuff across from my tack room, I've still got quite a bit to go but I'm hoping to make a good dent in that this weekend if its not too hot.

I also got my new strimmer/brush cutter yesterday, I was going to test drive it tonight but couldn't find my 2 stroke oil so I'll have to stop off and get some tomorrow, I'm looking forward to having a good tidy up with that :)

The great thing this week though is no signs of the undesirables :D but a friend, who's a police volunteer, caught some teens yanking on the fence and going into a field further up the lane, she told them off, reminded one of the kids she's known him since he was tiny and knows where he lives and told them we have a network of people patroling and the police will be called if they are seen again :p turns out I worked with that kids dad for a few years too so if I catch him I'll go see dad but hopefully that's the group I've been having bother with and they will steer clear now and tell their friends to steer clear too.

In other good news I swear Hank has lost some weight already :D and jess is looking sound :D and they are both relaxed there, this was this morning
_20170622_212128.JPG
And jess is enjoying foraging, and as expected the willow is a real hit
_20170622_212216.JPG

I'm rethinking my plan Re the barn and shelter, I currently have the horses fenced about 20ft from the barn and planned to put a shelter round the corner but now the shed is in the barn I've got a better feel for the space and I think I'm going to set that up so the horses can get into the front next to the shed which will still leave me plenty of space for hay in the back half :) I'll just rig up some gates so they can't get to the hay. I'm hoping it would also put off undesirables poking around the shed if the horses are right there, which they would be if they see anyone near the shed where the feed comes from ;)

That's a great idea and will save you a few bob too. Jess looks so happy! Ziggy adores willow and it keeps them quiet for hours :)
I already have the materials to build a shelter, but not spending a few days building one will not go a miss, there still so much other stuff I want/need to do.

So today I moved loads more stuff, my shed is filling up fast!

Then I recovered the cows from next door :rolleyes:

Then I organised a bit more.

Then I recovered the cows from next door o_O

Then I went shopping for a kids fishing net to check the borehole, couldn't get one but saw one of those pop up mesh plate covers and the engineers brain kicked in, 20 mins later I'd rigged it to go down closed and pull out open with good ole bailer twine and a rock :D
_20170624_212858.JPG
The good news is I just got a couple of small pieces of polystyrene and some leaves :D sterilisation is the next step, and I've got some inline filters coming :)

Then I recovered the cows from next door :mad:

Then I rode my pony :D I'd planned to meet friends for a pub ride but realised at the last minute I hadn't left Hank at the new place alone yet and leaving him for a couple of hours the first time probably wasn't wise so I cut it short and drove up to meet my friends at the pub :D

After I got back I needed to take some fresh water to the horses (they aren't keen on the river water) and while I was there.....

I recovered the cows from next door :mad: :mad::mad: so tomorrow I will be doing lots of strimming and if that doesn't work they will have to go home, I love having them but I can't have them upsetting all the neighbours.

Reactions: lauren123
Oh its soo maddening when they keep escaping and you are constantly having to round them up and put them back. I had a couple of my sheep at the start who seemed to always manage to get out. I swear I think they were starting to think it was some kind of game and were sniggering at me :rolleyes: Thank goodness they grew and got to big to squeeze through wee gaps.
It may be time to send the cattle back as sometimes once they get into the habit of escaping they just keep doing it.

I gave them grass rather than scrub last night and they have stayed put today :) its a pain though because in order for them to reach the river from the grass they have to cross the ponies track, so the neds now have less, its a toss up until I get the water sorted, after that the cows can be in the middle and the ponies on the track, hopefully its just a few more days.

Yes once they are in the middle they will probably be content to stay put, fingers crossed . My sheep are able to go from the track to the middle as they come and go under the fence. It works well as Marley does chase them sometimes so they just run under the electric away from him lol

Yes once they are in the middle they will probably be content to stay put, fingers crossed . My sheep are able to go from the track to the middle as they come and go under the fence. It works well as Marley does chase them sometimes so they just run under the electric away from him lol
I wish I could do that but Hank is smaller than the biggest cow and I don't want him down at the river until I sculpted the bank a little, he's stupid enough to go in but wouldn't be able to get out currently and isn't tall enough to stand on the bottom.

I wish I could do that but Hank is smaller than the biggest cow and I don't want him down at the river until I sculpted the bank a little, he's stupid enough to go in but wouldn't be able to get out currently and isn't tall enough to stand on the bottom.

Oh, that's a scary picture, but a bit of a giggle too, sorry!

Reactions: Jessey
I have visions of him strutting it like donkey (shrek) swimming around :p but he couldn't sustan that for long, the cows have done a pretty good job stomping the bank down to the water line, I just need to do a little mod below ;)

Progress is coming along nicely, heres a little photo tour;
The ark and lovely budleia flowering
_20170702_121057.JPG One side of the track, you can see how dry it is, the only thing growing is nettles :(
FB_IMG_1498994580178.jpg
Jess in the loafing areaFB_IMG_1498994592830.jpg
Hank snoozing in the shade of the trees at the side of the loafing areaFB_IMG_1498994598572.jpg
Cornflower in the 'middle'FB_IMG_1498994589345.jpg top of the track in front of the arc
FB_IMG_1498994586259.jpg new IBC kindly delivered by Cornflower's owner, set up to run straight into the trough, hopefully this means just running the pump from the borehole just 1 day a week and less faffing about :)
FB_IMG_1498994583322.jpg

newrider.com