FGS lami!

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
I'm really annoyed at myself and need to rant and I feel crap!
The other horses have been eating the hay field down and I had been putting Sox in there for a hour every so often . So he could mix with the other horses and partly see how he gets on with the grass. He appeared to be doing well. Then one day I decided to put him in longer as he was really happy and content.. so I came back later to get him. Thinking if he cant cope just go bacl to tge crap field..In short I messed up! He appears to have lami. :( pretty warm feet i cant fet his pulses down. I penned him off and changed the pen as he was just barging. This morning I turned him out at 06:00 and he walked through the fence by 06:15 :(
So annoyed at myself. I just want him well!

What's happening in regards to the other horse you had, is that resolved? Did he go back.

It might be the new hay plus grass. It could be lgl and not full blown lami, that happened to my tb when I was eating down grass doing someone a favour. It was just too much too soon. She was saying though so vet call out.

I am surprised by the amount of issues he has, literally one thing after another, because he wouldn't last five seconds racing with any of them. It makes me wonder how much access he had to grazing when out of season.

Reactions: Cortrasna
Don't be hard on yourself, he's high maintenance and then some. Fingers crossed for cold feet and no pulses tomorrow!

Lauren I don't want to upset you, but how many times have you asked my opinion on this & I've told you why I think it's a bad idea & you've agreed? It just isn't worth taking chances when you don't have to. But done is done, so lets learn the lesson & get on with trying to fix the damage.

Sort the fencing so he can't go through it. Is it electric fencing? If so get high stakes & make sure you have a well charged battery on it all the time he's out. Make sure there are enough strands that it looks solid & that there's nothing to drain or short the current. Make his pen as small as you can.

Get the farrier out ASAP, ideally tomorrow, to see if he thinks he needs supports on, and fit them if he does. Keep them securely taped on so he isn't pulling them off.

Speak to the vet to see if they recommend Sedalin & some form of NSAID. A low dose of Sedalin may also help settle him in his pen (I'm assuming he's even worse if kept in).

Soak all his hay properly & cut out his hard feed - it's unfortunate if he loses weight but his feet are more of a worry at the moment.

Is he getting his Prascend every day?

Get your fence sorted, it needs to be powered constantly and as @carthorse says decent, like this
Horses_RO8_025.jpg
NOT this (the below will only work for horses with a lot of respect for electric fence)
Cheetah-Electric-Fence-Plastic-Post.jpg
If your yard provided electric fence isn't working you have 2 options, speak to YO and explain its causing problems and get him to fix it or get your own set up sorted. Now Sox knows he can walk through the piece of string you have (that's all it is without power on it) he's not going to stop without something changing so having your own set up is probably a good option in the long run.

I would agree on sedaline, having a vasodilation effect its thought to help with lami and it should help take the edge off his stressyness, which won't be being helped by the fact he is also having to get used to being alone again and as we know stress impacts sox's recovery lots so it is def worth addressing. Or get him on an alternative like chamomile to help keep him calm.

It is crap, this is a huge setback and you have worked so hard to get him this far, BUT, you know how to deal with this, you know what went wrong and you can learn from the mistake going forwards so it doesn't happen again. Looking for the silver lining at least it happened now, when the ground is soft for him and before the spring grass is coming through which would have made it a hundred times harder to manage.

I'm glad the farrier is coming & that you're managing to box rest him, though with how the weather was today I bet he was glad to be in! I hope he's feeling more comfortable with the bute & makes a full recovery.

How did you get on with the farrier? I hope Sox is still being sensible about his box rest.

Farrier... trimmed him
.. that was about it long story short.
Sox has been getting very upset on box rest so I have put him in the muddy patch that is fences off (it' tiny) with a working fence :D and a low sugar haynet :)
Though it was hard to tell how he was walking at 6am!

The farrier didn't give you any opinion on whether or not he thought he was laminitic or what else might be causing raised pulses & lameness? Just trimmed & left? Lauren you NEED a better farrier! And you need to tell him when you've got a problem & ask the right questions. How was he walking when you brought him back in in the evening? And in the morning was he walking at a normal speed? How was he when you picked out feet & how were pulses? You do need to see him walking because if he's reluctant to do so, struggling on a turn, not wanting to back up or his gait is strange then you need a vet - or a good farrier - and more box rest no matter how he hates it.

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
newrider.com