Feeding horses treats??! Will they still respect us?

i don't think horses become nippy/disrespectful from treats. i think they get that way from having no respect to start with. he was VERY nippy when we got him and a week of no handfeeding cured that. now he gets treats a LOT. and hugs, walks, talking, singing to and worked a lot. i can hold a carrot in front of him and tell him to wait, back up, bow, follow me and back up again. he is very patient and understands it's up to me when he gets it. it's to do with your whole relationship with the horse. you can't pinpoint one action and think it will affect what you do the other 99% of the time.

I am another soft touch I'm afraid. My boy gets quite a lot of treats but I would stop straight away if there were any signs of him getting nippy.

Gosh, I take a couple of sliced-up apples and a bunch of mini-carrots to each lesson and give them to my lesson horse when I first greet him, after I've brushed him and checked his hooves, and again after the lesson! I haven't noticed it's done any harm.

Thanks everyone

I have never started a post before which has had so many replies!! THANKS EVERYONE

I have decided to continue feeding my horse treats. I am going to try something one of you guys mentioned which is letting her see the treat but not letting her have it until she does something for me, like back up and wait. I think if she can control herself not to take the treat until i tell her to then that has got to be a clear demonstration of who is the leader and that she is a very well mannered pony.

I will let you know if she can manage to resist temptation!

newrider.com