Electric Fencing - Batteries..?

TiggerthePony

Jan 8, 2008
Devon
I am a bit of a novice with electric fencing! Lily is moving back to the pony fields and I am fencing of a field for her so she is on restricted grazing. I have poles and tape but I was lost looking at the batteries! I don't really want one that will need new batteries every other day but not really sure what to go for - any recommendations and tips for connecting it all up very welcome!!! I can pay up to about £50 for the battery

Leisure batterys last the longest on elec fencing, but will need charging once every 2 weeks to make sure they keep enough omph going through the fence to act as a deterrent to the hossies, you'll need 2 batteries, to recharge without killing the life of a battery they want an 8hr slow recharge, never use the fast charge option on a battery charger unless you really have to , it kills them quickly.

do you know a friendly farmer? if so ask them for a couple of old tractor batteries use one and keep one charged ready to replace - mind you - i used one for a few months without it loosing power so no idea how long they last!
if not then try a breakers yard and ask for a coupld of old truck or car betteries :)

ETA - then go to local farm shop and buy a proper battery charger and energiser ;)

Tractor batteries can last months, had one on our pigs for 7months now & its still firing away at full charge.

We use the Leisure batteries, but also bought a couple of cheap solar chargers off ebay and it extends the time between charges dramatically, can usually run once all summer with the Solar trickle on without having to recharge it.

oh yes i'd forgotten we used them for piggies too :D our tractor battery power out-lasted our piggies :eek: but we only kept them 4 months - we still have the pigs - but in body, not in sole ;)

As do we, but in the freezer not the field.

we use car batterys (same as leisure batterys??) we used to recharge them every 2 weeks but the one on the strip fencing has been there 3months now an is still bloody strong - as muggins here found out when i lent on it at the weekend :rolleyes:

we use car batterys (same as leisure batterys??) we used to recharge them every 2 weeks but the one on the strip fencing has been there 3months now an is still bloody strong - as muggins here found out when i lent on it at the weekend :rolleyes:

HAHA ! I did it this morning, normally I turn the unit on the bulls field off when I go to refil his water, as if tis windy, you do need to be able to reach over the fence to avoid losing water to the wind, forgot this morning, christ my elbows dirled away for hrs.

Thanks guys got some idea of what I am looking for now! Did think about nicking the car battery out of my other halfs BMW!! LOL! It's quite new!

I hate electric fencing, I have seen an energiser that has a free fence tester with it! Need one of them as don't like my usual wrap hand around it and see, did it once and was hanging on saying no it;s not working and gripped tighter then bang it got me!!!

newrider.com