Early arrival of the buddha belly

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Hank's buddha belly is here early this year (he seems to get an actual double belly) which is quite worrying, and Dan has caught him up on the weight stakes (his 4 escapes onto better grass last week didn't help). Hank is fatter than he looks here!

34649331_10156370013992246_2233354050135392256_n.jpg

They are all on the track, which has very little grass on it (most of the green you see is nettles), its the extreme of a starvation paddock but the little sods are finding enough somewhere, mostly under the fences I think :( I do give Jess a new strip maybe 4 x a week but she generally chases them off that, but I guess they clear up what she doesn't eat after she wanders off. I have just lowered all the fences after spending 2 days strimming, so hopefully no more escapes for Dan. They are also getting feasts of nettles every time I strim them, which I am having to do weekly at the moment to stay ahead of them. I've even been trying to put hay mostly at Jess height, so they literally only get what she drops, but I have noticed Hank zero's in on the seed that falls out of the hay, so his grain free diet is a little less grain free than I'd planned!

I'm quite worried after the amount of lami that's happened this year, although neither have any indication of any problem at the moment but I want it to stay that way. I'm not sure muzzling them will help as they already have very little access to grass and I don't want them not to be able to eat anything. I could make them a sand pen and shut them in for XX hours a day with soaked hay. I will definitely be getting the cart out in the next few days and Hank will be driving again, hopefully Jess will let me take Dan out at the same time and he can get some exercise and exposure to the cart :)

Lol to the buddha belly!! But seriously, it sounds like you're doing everything you can. I can only think that maybe doing more exercise will help? So difficult isn't it? We don't have much grass here but I am still paranoid! I turn out until lunch time, ride then back out again. The girls come in and have a birds nest of hay for two hours and Zi generally isn't interested, he seems less greedy than they are!!! Even after he's worked he'd happy snoozing and hanging about. Some horses make food and eating their mission don't they?!!!

Reactions: Jessey
Its such a hard battle! Mines currently fenced in an area and hes grazed it down, but has to move back to his own field on monday! Which hes been off while it was sprayed ive been and looked and its just lush grass everywhere! So fencing him in again! We do alot of hacking but currently the bridle ways are grown so high.. To my knees while i am on my horse! Si he eats all the way, theres jo stopping him, its at mouth eight so he walks and eats! Cant wait untill they cut them!

newrider.com