Drying rugs

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
The last several days of rain have brought this back into my mind again, I want a way to dry Jess out quickly as I hate putting a turnout rug on a wet horse and I don't have a stable to leave her in to dry.

I have a fleece but a fleece only helps cool out a hot horse, if you have ever tried drying yourself with something fleece when you get out the shower you will understand ;) I want something absorbent and cheap :p a rug made of towel would be ideal but I can only find one for 90 quid and I don't need it that badly :p

I have been sticking her fleece under a lightweight turnout this winter but it would take her hours to dry and both rugs now stink to high heaven :confused:

Can't help with anything cheap but Toby has a thermatex and a teviot designs wicking rug. Both expensive but get heavy use so have been worth every penny. If I was to buy a replacement I'd probably go for a Ruggles wicking rug as not too expensive

Can't help with anything cheap but Toby has a thermatex and a teviot designs wicking rug. Both expensive but get heavy use so have been worth every penny. If I was to buy a replacement I'd probably go for a Ruggles wicking rug as not too expensive
Thanks, do they actually soak the water up or are they like fleeces and reliant on evaporation?

When Zi needs rugging and is wet I've pressed bath towels onto his back to absorb the thick of it. He has his own collection:pand then rugged him. Not ideal because he will still be damp but it was the best I could do some days. I know just what you mean about fleeces! Yea, imagine trying to get dry on one. Yet they do wick away sweat don't they?

I might be able to help!! One of the girls on my yard was selling this. I've messaged to see if she still has it and if you are even interested I can put you in touch. x

Screenshot_20180403-125215-600x883.jpg

Reactions: Trewsers
When Zi needs rugging and is wet I've pressed bath towels onto his back to absorb the thick of it. He has his own collection:pand then rugged him. Not ideal because he will still be damp but it was the best I could do some days. I know just what you mean about fleeces! Yea, imagine trying to get dry on one. Yet they do wick away sweat don't they?
That's what I have been doing with Jess, it takes the worst off but she's still pretty damp. Fleeces wick away sweat by means of evaporation, because the horse is warm and the air outside cold so the moisture escapes through the fabric, that's why it condenses on the outside of the fleece.

Reactions: Trewsers
I thatch with straw or hay they wont eat to dry horses off better. I think it works better than just having a fleece on.

I normally stable whilst drying for that reason as well.
I don't have a stable and the 2 times I have shut the gate on the barn she looses the plot and refuses to go back in there for about a month :rolleyes: (she will if I lead her but won't choose to which is a bind when it doubles as her shelter)

Well I have never heard of a towelling robe, I mean rug, for a horse. It's a really good idea, mind when I think how much a human bath sheet costs I'm not surprised they're expensive.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com