Does anyone feed Simple Systems or Pure Feed?

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
Pete's becoming fussy about eating his Fast Fibre, so I'm debating switching feeds. Given that he's a very good doer & had laminitis last summer - I'm looking for a good quality, but low sugar feed.

I'm considering Sinple Systems or Pure Feeds but don't have any experience of it myself.

Or failing that - what do others feed their good doers?

X

I used to but not now.
Mine just gets her magnesium supplement and a pop. That's stuck to a carrot or a sniff of banana. I don't feed anything else.

Mine just gets a handful of fast fibre soaked along with a handful of hi fi mollases free chaff so I can mix the supplements in.So sorry no help, but I have heard a lot of good reports for Agrobs pre alpine feeds, I think @Jane&Ziggy was trying it out on her ziggy so maybe she could advice.

My cob and fell that are good doers get nothing, my newly broken dales gets calm and condition as does our newly broken 11.2hh rescue but only a small amount, more a token feed. x

I fed simple systems before to chanter but when i got ginger i changed as he has ulscers i thought it would be better but when i spoke to them the amount i would have to feed was huge plus the three different things they recommended would have cost an arm and leg.

Fast fibre is just as good

Reactions: newforest
I've used it but getting it is a pain for me so I just use dengie unmollassed alfa-a which has a few herbs in it too which is meant to make it more appealing, it smells good to me :D alfa has about the equivalent calories/energy as a basic pony mix but is low sugar, if you don't need energy it might not be ideal, though if you are only feeding a little it shouldn't cause an issue, though some can react to it (like any feed)

I'm trialling the Agrobs feeds, all but the straight and Senior meadow chops. They are organic forage based feeds and seem reasonably priced to me. I have Weisencobs (grass nuts), muesli and treats!

The Weisencobs are fantastic and my poor doer Mattie is looking lovely and round on them. They need a good soak if your horse has poor teeth. You can feed one or two dry as treats and Ziggy adores them.

The muesli is really good to add to a horse's feed for its & minerals as it contains all sorts of goodies (reships, sunflower seeds) but you need to wet it well as the seeds make it potentially choky. It's highly palatable and all the horses love it. It is recommended as a replacement for concentrated feed for horses in heavy work as it is nutritious, so my good doer boy only gets a handful in his chaff.

The treats are awesome.

Here's a link: http://www.red-rufus.co.uk/#!pre-alpin-equine-feeds/c5f5

I've used SS in the past and like others gave up due to sourcing issues and price. It is a very healthy option for them and most of them take time to adjust to it as it really is no sugar or mollasses.

Jane, what are the sugar and starch levels of the Agrobs stuff? It looks very pretty from the website!!

I picked up samples of Thunderbrooks at YHL last year and Jack scoffed the lot but Albi took some time to adjust. The "base" is like a white powder, a kind of balancer rather than being hugely calorific and the chaff was nice, like dried grass. Funny how horses like what they like. I bought some Copra a while back when Jack was looking poor and it smelled lovely but Jack wouldn't touch it at all. Albi and Joe (the fatties who didn't need it!) LOVED it!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts :)

The trouble is @OwnedbyChanter, he's not eating the FF! Apparently, it's happened to a few people that have fed it, but I've no idea why ... Up until now, I've been more than happy with it :) He's kept on a large yard where all are fed breakfast together & he'd kick the blooming place down if he saw them fed and not him!

I must be really lucky - our local tack shop stocks SS, so getting hold of it isn't an issue. I spoke to the tack shop manager today & she's advised to take him off any chaff that is alfalfa based, as he's started to get quite itchy (I'm treating him for that) so I've bought a bag of SS Timothy Chop and SS equivalent to high fibre nuts, which I can't remember the name of right now! Pre-Alpin does look good though, so if he doesn't take to SS I might give that a go.

We'll see how we get on, I guess!

newrider.com