Do you do anything Christmassy with yours?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Such as dress them or you, you know we need photos of that!
Go on a ride with friends or organised ride. I have done both and stopped offer mince pies and mulled wine.
Boxing day or new years hunt?

This year I had a random thought to add sleigh bells to her harness. Like you do. @Jane&Ziggy any progress on your harness?, we are literally on the last holes on everything since she grew into a cob hairball.

One thing became apparent when they arrived, they are loud. I don't have plans or a goals apart from training her to wear them. :)

It's only the second time she has worn one set. These are loud enough to hear over the windy conditions. No wonder some countries use cow bells!!

PicsArt_12-06-04.15.59.jpg

Last edited:
Wahey ! I never even thought of putting bells on my ones harness!

I think this year given we now have enough driving hours between us all we might just have to do a pub drive or drive out on the forest with the carriage done up in tinsel complete with Santa hats ! :D

Yup, normally I would deck three out of 4 of mine with bells and tinsel but to be honest, now we are down to two, I don't think I will bother this year as Jack is frightened of tinsel :(

Well no, but if he takes to the harness I might long rein him around the Heath in it on Boxing Day!

Bells are a fab idea, although he doesn't like the ones:p on his fly mask's ears which make him look like a jester

I might think of adding some tinsel to the carriage if I can get to drive during my few days of during christmas and new year. Think a christmas day drive might be in order as you find lots of people go out for a walk before settling down for there christmas dinner. It might give people some enjoyment.
I did have some little bells on the harness to help desensitize the horse with noise when I was breaking him. But one came off when I was out driving and the other Ive taken off.
My friend decorated her horse with reindeer antlers on the bridle and tinsel and bows round the carriage. Her and her little boy went out dresses as little elves with green waistcoats and hats that then made up. The pics were fab.

Daisy dog has an advent calendar and they will all get a stocking!

Always do a tinsel ride before Xmas. It's usually just me and Cher's sharer that go out but there are some new folk on the yard so I think they're going to come.

At the old yard when it was a busy lots going on yard everyone used to come out! I'm sure I've got a video of it somewhere, I'll look it out.

I though Id take little one for a walkround the village xmas eve, but my backs bust still and the weathers awful ! if things improve then maybe!

The last 2 years I put a big red nose and antlers on Hank and some bells and took him round the eastate to meet some of the kids, I'm thinking this year I might take him out at about 6pm and trot him along so the kids can hear the reindeer ;) :D next year he should be driving (picked up a cart this weekend) so that will be fun, perhaps I can find someone to pose as santa :D

I got my 2 an advent calander each this year and neither of tthem like the damn treats inside!
Sorry had to giggle with that one. That's typical isn't it.
I remember offering mine a polo and she just looked at it, sniffed it and eventually tried it. Doing the nodding dog expression. I don't feed polo's ;)

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
@newforest Where did you find the bells for your harness ? I'm on a mission to find some now.

I put tinsel around my horses neck last night and around his stable to check his reaction. He didn't care so I know that will be fine :)

@Ruskii I had them shipped over from Kentucky USA last month. What I found in this country were mainly Victorian and way out of my price range.

Eta @Jessey yes these are actual sleigh bells that came off someone's sleigh. :)

Last edited:
Sorry had to giggle with that one. That's typical isn't it.
I remember offering mine a polo and she just looked at it, sniffed it and eventually tried it. Doing the nodding dog expression. I don't feed polo's ;)

I think here in lies the problem. Neala has never had horse treats as such. I use cranberries,carrots, rosehip,grass nuts, flowers, carrot tops etc. My mum gives her a polo now and again only to laugh at her doing the nodding dog head and curled upper lip before spitting it out. Neala does however like spearmint dried :rolleyes: Thought Torin would eat them but nope. Ah well the horses at work like them ;)

newrider.com