Dealing with a situation badly. Add yours :)

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I am not going to beat myself up about this, we have all overreacted at something at sometime or other.

I took the cob out and we came across a mock pheasant shoot. She went into meltdown mode and I pretty much joined her! I wanted to go "home" and she wasn't about to go by anyway. I got back to the yard trying to be quick but calm.
After I composed myself for few minutes we set off out again once I had a new route in mind.
We both had the jitters and I was reactive as oppose to responsive. I told her she was good for being laid back as I wasn't annoying her too much. A responsive, forward going type might have flicked off the problem, me. :)

Today I rode her past the field. We stopped and started all the way down the hill. After all last time I wanted to go home. So what did that tell her. Danger! She had a really good look and checked all the edges, hedges, gates and just carried on. That will be the end of it but if I bump into the shoot again I really need to handle my problem better :(

Not really with Roxy but I've dealt with loads of 'real life' situations badly! Regrets, I have a few!

Once when I was really stressed ale tried to bite me I literally screamed no, went to hit him and then curled up on the floor sobbing. I'm lucky I have some nice people on my yard who picked me up and told me to get more sleep haha. And another time my bike got a flat tire at the end of a crappy day, I walked 7 miles home pushing it and then I picked my bike up and threw it across my front garden when I got home.

I must admit I sometimes let everything get on top of me haha. You really coped pretty well considering!

Sounds as if you kept pretty calm and dealt with it well. Sometimes it's not worth struggling past something really bad, and you had the presence of mind to see that she was the laid-back one, and to tell her so. I'm not sure what you could have done that was better.

I like the reactive/responsive description; I'm trying hard to learn not to be reactive ...:(

Reactions: Trewsers
Don't beat yourself up Nf! If I could turn back the clock.....
There's been many a time with Storm where I've made a situation worse than it needed to be. And then given her the wrong signal! One such time here when J was still alive and we were out hacking. Came across farmers son on quad with trailer. At that time WE also had a quad and sheep trailer. Both horses were used to OH bumping and bashing alone to their field with hay / water etc and never turned a hoof. But for some reason on that Sunday I froze up - and so did she. And I made a complete dork of us both by asking farmers son to turn engine off. We then stalked past in a non too calm manner back down the lane home. Whereby I untacked, slapped myself mentally and tried hard to learn from it. Not sure if I did lol! Ended upsending a very apologetic text to farmers son claiming my horse was being an ass. It was t'other way about:rolleyes:

Reactions: newforest
I guess I know I didn't feel at all calm. The last time we bumped into it she took off and the rider I was with fell. So at least this time I didn't have the extra horse to worry about.

Once when I was really stressed ale tried to bite me I literally screamed no, went to hit him and then curled up on the floor sobbing. I'm lucky I have some nice people on my yard who picked me up and told me to get more sleep haha.

I think we all have those stressful days Ale.

Last year, when we still only had one car, it failed the MoT on a Friday so it had to stay with the mechanic all weekend. I had a mini-meltdown, was so upset I took myself to bed and cried all evening.

My cob stallion once attacked my dog. I got the dog to safety and to my shane went back to the stallion and screamed at him and thumped his neck and shoulder. I knew I was not dealing with the situation but I was full of adrenaline and shock. It's the only time I've ever done anything like that and I am still ashamed of it.

Don't beat your self up. Like Trewsers said we are only human.

I tried my best with
Andi and "team penning" years ago being a bossy little brat I expected her to go up and bite the cows on the butt--" move along"

We never got close to the cows and I kept my seat but we did a lot of spin in Place

sorry hit send by mistake
My "Friends" went to the other end of the arena (it was a clinic) so many people were in there
and acted like they did not even know"US"
I went to 2 more clinics and we rented cows there for the afternoon and then went to one
"real" easy going team penning.
And never warmed up to it.
I have photos of us looking like the " REFEREE" not a participant cause we never got close enough to have
fun and actually participate.

I should have stopped at 2 tries-- It was clear by 2 she did not like it.

newrider.com