Cross country fun!!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I've put a question mark because I've never tried it before but I've agreed to go on Sunday with my share horse!!

I just want us both to have a fun and confidence building time, not looking to jump anything big. Jumps start from 45cm so should be perfect for us.

I'm going with 3 other people and we are having an hours lesson and then a further hour to play on the course. Any tips or advice?

The only thing I have thought of so far is I'm putting a neckstrap/ martingale on so I can hold on if I feel wobbly.

Reactions: Jessey
It's definitely fun! Try not to over think it. Find out if you have to wear a body protector, hat with no peak and may have to be up to the new standard rules.

Defo go with the neck strap as well as martingale. Will the horse your riding need boots? Something to ask his owner? Not really that necessary over smaller jumps but I always boots up.

Mainly just enjoy it, I love going XC and went from jumping 85cm to 110 fences last summer. Look up, leg on and smile.

It's definitely fun! Try not to over think it. Find out if you have to wear a body protector, hat with no peak and may have to be up to the new standard rules.

Defo go with the neck strap as well as martingale. Will the horse your riding need boots? Something to ask his owner? Not really that necessary over smaller jumps but I always boots up.

Mainly just enjoy it, I love going XC and went from jumping 85cm to 110 fences last summer. Look up, leg on and smile.

Thank-you, I'm wearing a body protector but my hat has a fixed peak and can't do anything about that, I'm sure it'll be okay the height we are doing.

Yes I'm going to use over reach and brushing boots on him always do for jumping as he does knock his legs a little. I shall repeat the look up, leg on and smile as we are going round :D

Shorten your stirrups by a hole or two.

And have fun.

Albi took some time to settle on Sunday because he wanted to follow Charlie, who he had hacked there with. Charlie was a bit nappy to start with too but after about 10 mins, they both settled.

Reactions: MrA
The best bit of jumping advice I have been given is to pick a spot far in the distance and focus on that rather than the jump. Then just keep a steady canter up to the jump and the horse will just pop over it. If I don't focus on something in the distance I tend to fixate on the actual jump and therefore am looking down at it when I approach it. This puts me off balance and makes Ben either destroy the jump or put in a very tight extra step.

I also tend to count my strides as a I approach. This isn't to calculate where I am going to take off, but it just keeps me breathing. If I don't count out loud (or singing works as well), I end up bright red gasping for breath as I don't breathe.

Enjoy and post up pictures. If I can post myself jumping then everyone else should as well! x

Reactions: JMR77 and MrA
Yes, agree with MP, even tho I don't jump high or much I can remember being told to look up, push on and aim for the fence at the end of the school ...... and to let the horse take care if it's feet!

Reactions: MrA
The best bit of jumping advice I have been given is to pick a spot far in the distance and focus on that rather than the jump. Then just keep a steady canter up to the jump and the horse will just pop over it. If I don't focus on something in the distance I tend to fixate on the actual jump and therefore am looking down at it when I approach it. This puts me off balance and makes Ben either destroy the jump or put in a very tight extra step.

I also tend to count my strides as a I approach. This isn't to calculate where I am going to take off, but it just keeps me breathing. If I don't count out loud (or singing works as well), I end up bright red gasping for breath as I don't breathe.

Enjoy and post up pictures. If I can post myself jumping then everyone else should as well! x

This is lovely advice @Mary Poppins and I had a good laugh at the thought of you going around a whole course bright red in the face and not breathing!

Reactions: JMR77 and MrA
Shorten your stirrups by a hole or two.

And have fun.

Albi took some time to settle on Sunday because he wanted to follow Charlie, who he had hacked there with. Charlie was a bit nappy to start with too but after about 10 mins, they both settled.

Thank-you I always make the mistake of trying to jump with them too long and it feels like I've forgotten how to ride!

Great advice thank-you! I am sometimes guilty of jumping on behalf of the horse and forgetting to just leave them to it. My share sometimes rushes into jumps so it's quite useful actually as it teaches me to just sit still and allow the jump to just happen. However he also used to refuse alot so has taught me to keep the leg on aswell. Just hoping I remember it all on Sun.

I can guarantee I won't look anywhere near as good as you two!

I really can't wait and looking forward to a nice horsey weekend! Giving him a bath on Saturday which I also really enjoy :)

Reactions: orbvalley
Aww this is great.....u will have so much fun. I went out on a course with my riding instructor a few weeks ago, i too had never attempted xc before. I'm not a jumper either this is a new thing i'm attempting in my adult life after a bad fall in my younger days stopped me jumping (Lost my nerve!). All the advice is brilliant and I will be using it myself. Hope u have a great time xx

I can't believe I've woken up ill, my throat is all swollen and I feel awful. Really don't want to miss Sunday so praying I feel better for then :(

newrider.com