Cringe corner, weather

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I know it's coming in cold. But I really hope it stays dry.
The thinking for feathered horses and bog burn is wet conditions in a muddy and wet field.
However this only happened to mine with the temperature plummet to -5 a few years ago after it had been raining, so wet.
She looked like someone had been at her with scissors in the night. They just froze off! :eek:
It's been a wet winter and ' touches wood' all ok. I have just oiled up dry feathers today and tried to shorten the front out of any mud/ wet.
Oh and I'm praying. Be gutted if she's bald tomorrow.

Loving the cold weather my fields have dried up and they boys are living out now as just can’t get chanter settled and happy.

Actually got a full clean right down to the hoof the last two days not a speck of mud to be seen.

Happy to rug up against the cold but nothing I can do but bring in when it’s drivibg rain

I heard on the radio even the snow coming is meant to be the dry powdery stuff, i really hope so, I can cope with cold but really hate the wet!

Last edited:
I know it's coming in cold. But I really hope it stays dry.
The thinking for feathered horses and bog burn is wet conditions in a muddy and wet field.
However this only happened to mine with the temperature plummet to -5 a few years ago after it had been raining, so wet.
She looked like someone had been at her with scissors in the night. They just froze off! :eek:
It's been a wet winter and ' touches wood' all ok. I have just oiled up dry feathers today and tried to shorten the front out of any mud/ wet.
Oh and I'm praying. Be gutted if she's bald tomorrow.

Oh dear, poor lass!

Still full feathers today. It did freeze and places are still frozen.
It's just if any feathers get wet, it must freeze gradually and it just snaps off the hairs.

I lunged both this morning and very few dibbits left in the ground. It's lovely dry and firm with the cold weather. After being out in it all day yesterday I was suffering with a headache last night. I've just been out in it now to see cows and I'm feeling heady again. Normally I like this dry cold weather but it's not agreeing with me this weekend.
I keep hearing different things about next week's snow weather so not sure what to believe. I should have time Tuesday so I think I will oil up again then as precaution.

I've just looked at the weather app and it's saying snow between 9 and 3 tuesday, then over night Thursday.

Ours is saying -4 Tuesday, -5 Wednesday. The ground temperature will be cooler because that's the air temperature. So just have to be oiled again.
To still have icy patches here you guys must be cold as generally we are mild.

It's not the air temps that worry me it's the wind chill, we are expected to have a wind chill of -15 by the end of the week.... brrrr I really have had enough of winter this year and spring still seems a long way off.
I hope Tilly's feathers don;t freeze off @newforest and anyone else with feathery legs too.

Is anyone else's horse suddenly really fluffy/frizzy?

Not sure if it's the wind, sun or the beginning of moulting? He felt warm but maybe had just puffed it up more to keep so. I'll try get a pic tomorrow if he's still like it!

Still full feathers today. It did freeze and places are still frozen.
It's just if any feathers get wet, it must freeze gradually and it just snaps off the hairs.
That's interesting, I've heard of bog burn, obvs, but none of mine feathered friends have ever had a problem, even when they lived out 24/7. I wonder if your mare is just prone to it ....bit like Gracie and her leg mites.

Not expected to go above freezing until 10am tomorrow.
Windchill I don't worry so much on because we have hilly ground and they can tuck themselves out of it/ use the barn.
That's interesting, I've heard of bog burn, obvs, but none of mine feathered friends have ever had a problem, even when they lived out 24/7. I wonder if your mare is just prone to it ....bit like Gracie and her leg mites.
Only happened that once when the temp dropped to -5 around five years ago and it was wet conditions.
Currently it's dry, plus we've opened up a new paddock with grazing in it.

Chunkys wispy hairs were standing up on end on Saturday when we got back from our drive. He had been trotting so warm in that respect but the cold air was making it stand on end. I rugged him pretty quick. He's clipped out but always grows back funny on the December clip. He still looks fully clipped but the hair that grows goes spikey.
Billy is moulting like mad. May have to put another rug on if it gets too cold.

Is anyone else's horse suddenly really fluffy/frizzy?
Hank was a lovely fluff ball this morning :D he's been rugged the last 3 weeks since he was kicked as he had no shelter, the Hank Hut went up on Saturday but I still rugged him sat night as felt bad but yesterday morning he was hot and itchy, so left it off last night and he is so much more comfortable and just as toasty :)

newrider.com