cost of pergolide

nola

Oct 12, 2015
My mare has just been diagnosed with Cushings and the first box of 250mcgs pergolide from the vet was £76 , just enough for 25 days ! I read some earlier posts which said that the same amount was purchased from chemists with a private prescription for half or nearly a quarter of the price , but when I contacted my local Boots , it wasn't much less . Has anyone any experience of this ? Also I am interested in trying the homeopathic remedy . Again anyoneone with experience of this ?

Prascend is the brand name for pergolide, I believe and, having done a quick search, you can buy in bulk from Hyperdrug. You can probs buy smaller quantities elsewhere. You are not obligated to buy meds from your vet, just ask for the prescription next time.

Pergolide is the human drug which you can no longer get on a horse script, you have to get prasend (the horse licenced version) which is more expensive (of course its for horses!). My girl was on it for a year at £78 for 40 days from my vet but I'm now managing her holistically which I also did with my old pony.

Thank you all for your replies . I would be gratefull for more information about your holistical pathway Jesse .

Reactions: Jessey
I used a bit of chaste berry with my old boy when nec but not needed it for Jess yet, but mostly just keeping stress levels low, keeping them out and moving and on low sugar & starch, high fibre, plus oil when nec. diets and managing weight through exercise and grass restriction. I also keep an eye for indications of the immune system becoming compromised and boost with herbs like echinacea and use more specific homeopathy depending on what's going on.

Phoenix was typical uber hairy so I clipped him year round and kept him well rugged, I lost him at about age 35 (he was a rescue so that was the vets best guess) and he never had lami in his years with me, he went when his body was no longer compliant rather than anything ppid related.

Jess has been diagnosed young (a bit over 2 years ago as a 10 year old), I've done the same with her now and not had lami but the work element is very critical for her as she really likes to eat! If she began showing symptomatic changes I would re-check her ACTH (I'm doing that periodically anyway) and prasend won't be excluded as an option but it will be my last choice as I don't like the idea of her being on drugs for the next 20 years possibly.

Thanks for taking the trouble to write . The world we keep our horses in can't really be " natural " , we just have to work to get as near to the ideal as we can .

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com