Confused about way of going....

I don't think it is as much to do with is he part Shire or whatever...it is his whole basic conformation etc. that could be key. Some part Shires are very slim build and dainty on their feet - some are trundling great cobs with short thick set necks and backs, that with the best will in the world will struggle when you attain a certain level of schooling and demands on their athletic ability. As far as I am aware we have never been shown a full side on conformation or video of Ben so we only can judge by what you tell us, and that is rarely unbiased and helpful when asking for opinion.

I do speak with some small amount of experience here - Solly and some others I have had could learn to school and carry themselves in a very passable and impressive way of going - however there was always a point when their stature and build would go against them - they simply could NOT, with the best will in the world perform to any higher level - there is a point where they have given you their very best for what they are - and are priceless for doing that.

I am not for one moment saying this is what is happening with Ben, but could well be worth consideration as only you among us here truly know his type and capacity to go further than the point you are already at. On the other hand not one person could ever see my issue with Dolly a couple of years back when I felt she just wasn't right - intermittently and it did take a lot of investigation and referral to pin down that there actually was a physical issue going on......thankfully a relatively minor one but I ma grateful I did pick up on it when others swore she was 100 per cent sound - she wasn't. go with your gut instinct, it seldom lies to you when you have a close bond with your horse IMO. :)

Loads of good advice, and I agree the owner or regular rider can often feel something not quite right before others can see it.
One thing I might try if mine were feeling a bit one sided/stiff is some carrot stretches, useful to assess flexibility and also to help them stretch out any little kinks :) I'm sure your physio would show you if you've not done them before, it might be a good addition to his work now he's doing a bit more, just to help him stay supple and not get locked up in his muscles :)

Loads of good advice, and I agree the owner or regular rider can often feel something not quite right before others can see it.
One thing I might try if mine were feeling a bit one sided/stiff is some carrot stretches, useful to assess flexibility and also to help them stretch out any little kinks :) I'm sure your physio would show you if you've not done them before, it might be a good addition to his work now he's doing a bit more, just to help him stay supple and not get locked up in his muscles :)
I will try this, thank you.

Reactions: Jessey
Various thoughts.

First he actually doesn't get day off from doing something. I realise you are saying he needs the level of work you are doing. But even an easy day means muscles are still working. They don't get a rest day.

I wonder because he is on restricted grass with soaked hay daytime that his muscles might not be getting the nutrition. Could they be lacking in protein?

The saddle is worth a check though because you have increased the work in the last four weeks. It might need a little adjustment. You will feel that because I have just changed my saddle in the lat two weeks. Right begins to not feel right.

Physio, is it a sports massage. This is what we have. She can check for anything out of alignment and gives the cob a really good top to toe massage.

Cantering a twenty metre circle with four point poles is hard work. You mention it's been introduced recently that might be creating some tension and you say he has struggled with his right hind.
I don't ride a twenty metre circle but I do ask for a few without me on board. We do two point poles.

It is commanded in the ten commandments.
But I have to say that tho my old share might be given a long holiday turned away, at the end of her life when in work she did a wee bit every day. Just led around in RDA in walk for instance. That yard was open 7 days a week.

Thanks for all your comments, they are all food for thought.

He is a little better, but I still can't get rid of this little niggle I have, and I can't wait to get him checked out next week. This morning I discovered that he REALLY does not like sheep, and that he still has a very nifty 360 degree spin in him! Luckily I didn't fall off this time (the spins always have me on the floor), but I got off and then had to deal with a snorting, crazy horse who grew to about 18hh. It really wasn't what I needed when all alone at 5am this morning and I really hopes that he gets over it soon as it looks like the sheep are on the farm to stay.

Well done you MaryP - I always fall off in a spin.
I think Michael Peace has a piece somewhere about teaching a horse not to mind sheep.

I just thought that I would update on this. I had the physio out today who really put my mind at rest. She said that he is in great shape for a horse of his size and age, and that he just had minor muscle tightness in his shoulder and pelvis. The stiffness I felt was his muscles working hard and breaking down ready to be built into new stronger muscles. I basically need to keep working him through any minor tightness so that he gets stronger. I have never pushed him to work this hard before, so that is why I have never felt anything like this. I have lots of stretching exercises to do with him and need to ensure that he fully stretches and is turned out to move around after any more intense schooling sessions. I am just so happy there is nothing more serious and she was very complementary about him. I will have her out on a regular basis now alongside the regular bowen sessions he already has.

I have to say horses just like humans need a rest day.

Glad the physio has explained things for you and you feel better about it all. We know our horses but sometimes a fresh pair of eyes (or hands) can spot things that we just don't at times.

newrider.com