Confidence wobble and parental guilt:-(

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
At a recent PC rally my 8 years olds pony decided she didn't want to be left behind and so did 2.5 laps of flat out canter before my daughter managed to pull her up and she stopped suddenly sending her over her shoulder, then the pony stood angelic looking at her as if she was shocked she her jockey was now laid on the floor!:eek: My guilt lies in the fact my 8 year old daughter told me the pony was strong, it was ridden in no martingale a cavasson a fulmer french link with keepers but my 13 year old insisted she wasn't strong as did a very good 15 year old rider I know who has xc schooled the pony. Anyway she is now in a happy mouth straight bar Pelham with d rings and has brakes but I've really set my daughter back and I feel dreadful:oops: I know it's not the pony and the fault lies with me and the fact my daughters lost her confidence yet again:( she keeps asking for a plod saying she doesn't want to go that fast and although I'm happy if she's happy, the pony she has is not a whizzy pony rather a forward but sensible type. I'm reluctant to go down the road of getting another pony as it would only take one thing for her to be in the same position, she has lessons but is becoming more reluctant to ride saying she just wants to look after her pony:rolleyes: I've told her the pony deserves to be doing stuff and we will have to consider selling her but then she's heartbroken, I really do feel like the worst horsey mum in the world ATM:(. x

Ok so you could have bitted her up but you had 2 other trustworthy kids telling you she was fine, its really just one of those things xx hopefully now your 8yo feels more in control she'll get back to enjoying the riding as well :)

Reactions: tikkitti
I think a lot of the issue is I was reluctant to over bit her. We are back to her riding on a lunge line ATM or in a enclosed paddock, I am hoping in time this will improve but don't want to put pressure on her. My youngest has a more natural position than my older daughter but in confidence they are 2 extremes, the older one is unphased by most things but my younger daughters always held back by the what ifs. x

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com