Chunky Monkey gang

Glad to hear he's now more help than hindrance! It's such a relief when you realise you have got there after all the hard work and training.

So much work and the weather all over the place. Suze was a hopeless mum, too young, she wanted to go clubbing. She used to have a bemused stare then would remember that she had a foal and wondered where she had left it

First loss. All went out fine yesterday. Went to bring in last night. The usual last lamber was down the field, plus one other. As me and quin walked down to get the pain in the butt the other started making her way up but was making a fair din. Then i note only one lamb. Once we got back up to the yard me noting which ewe but still only one lamb. So lamb hadnt made its way up with other mums and reunited. So i went off round the field in search. But light beat me, so i had to stop looking. Hardly a small lamb given it was the 2nd one to lamb. Everything looks healthy so no concerns that it might drop dead. So now im wondering if someones dog has been in and chased and sent the lamb into the brambles or through the fence. Im going down to feed in a minute and will turn mum and her single lamb out first to see if she gives any indication where it might be. Then I'll walk the field again. But i dont give much hope. Theres just too many places it could hide and Mr Fox will have sniffed it out over night most likely. Will look for crows being active.
So annoying as i felt lambing was doing ok. No matter how hard i try i always loose one or two.

• Sad
Reactions: Jessey
Well its not good news but my mind is at rest. Turned the ewe out and she walked all the way down the field with her other lamb calling out as she went. Stopped on the right side half way down the steam. So left it 10 minutes before i walked down she never left the point.
So a quick scoot around and i literally saw it in the stream under a bramble thicket. No idea how it got in there, as i had to pry the brambles apart to get into retrieve it. The stream isnt deep, covers my feet but with all the rain it it flowing fast so could have been washed down stream under the brambles i guess but the weight of the lamb it wouldnt gave travelled far. Saw a couple of scars on the tail but i think bramble scratches.

The ewe didnt go to where she was when i walked down last night, so leaving her out wouldnt have benefited but it was odd she clearly knew this morning exactly where to go.

I walked up and down the stream at least 3 times last night so walked past it.

• Sad
Flipin abcesses.

20240416_072854.jpg

This ones a right stubben abcess. Actually right stubben mum to. Every night we have to walk to the very bottom of the field to get her and her two lambs. Usually after a few days going out with there new borns they learn to come up in the evenings as a flock. Not this madame. She still doesnt get it. Quins not strong enough to go get her on his own, she challenges him. So ive tried scaring her up, calling her, Quins nipped her i dont know how many times on the heels and ankles, gone in at the throat and still she doesnt get it. Her being lame is no excuse either. Because when it suits her she can run, lame or not. By the time we get her up she gets in the shed panting. I tell her everynight, if you stop being dumb and come up with the rest of the flock as they make ther way up, you wouldnt be puffing and panting. Its doing her no favours stressing out. One day she will learn.

Been soaking and spraying everyday and not getting any better yet. This morning the foots swelled and more heat so i think theres another abcess brewing.

Shes starting to loose weight. They naturally will as soon as they lamb as they put into milk. But as shes not standing shes not eating. Shes a first lamber but her udder looks tiny. So it will start to effect her lambs growth soon.

• Sad
newrider.com