Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Cheap saddle time?

Discussion in 'Money Saving Ideas, Tips and Remedies' started by DaisyA, Jul 28, 2017.

1. DaisyA

DaisyA New Member

Hello! I'm currently having a lesson every other week and would love to have more saddle time, but money won't allow. I'm 14, so can't get a proper job to pay for more. I was thinking I could ask to help out at my barn in return for lessons, but I'm not sure what I could do since I'm not very experienced (I only properly started riding a few months ago). If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them :)

2. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

I started working in exchange for rides (we rarely got proper lessons more likely just the chance to ride the horse back to the field bareback :D) when I was about 9, but learning horse care and on the ground stuff is equally as important if you want your own some day :) I started off mostly just sweeping and filling water buckets, then got on to mucking out, grooming and bathing horses and leading ponies in lessons as I got bigger and stronger :)

3. DaisyA

DaisyA New Member

Thanks for your reply. I might ask my instructor, since it's the Summer holidays anyway and I have a lot of free time for the ponies at the stables!

Jessey likes this.
  4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

Even if you can't get lessons or rides out of it you will learn loads so well worth asking :D

Trewsers likes this.
  6. DaisyA

DaisyA New Member

Thanks for the tip!

Jessey likes this.
The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties