Cavallo riding boots

Ong

Apr 24, 2017
Hi everyone,

I just bought a pair of Cavallo Saltaris riding boots and they will be here very soon, I'm currently wearing rubber boots and found them to be overly stiff. Can't bend my ankles to get it my heels down, I was told that Saltaris is a soft boot, anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks

csm_Saltaris_seitlich_03_41fc8f276b.png

Nice boots- and should be lots more comfy than horrible rubber.

However, do be prepared for them to potentially be a bit stiff and "new" for a while. It's the bane of the rider the only way to get over this is to wear them. They are leather so they WILL soften and drop - the combination of heat and movement from your legs and feet will start to mould them - but it's not usually a quick process and can be a tad uncomfortable.

Is it normal for dressage boots to be stiff at the ankle area? I choose to buy Saltaris because Cavallo said jumping boots are softer but I don't want any laces.

Cor! Nice boots! I'd have to halve in size to fasten those:p:D they look gorgeous. Expect they will be comfy! And definitely comfier than rubber once you've worn them in:)

Very good looking, I chose this because the other brand are just too expensive like Konigs and Deniro, off the shelf tall boots just don't fit me. I don't like short boots with chaps, doesn't feel supportive at the ankle.

Is it normal for dressage boots to be stiff at the ankle area? I choose to buy Saltaris because Cavallo said jumping boots are softer but I don't want any laces.
You won't know until they arrive. Most boots are a bit stiff but soon "drop" (wrinkle comfortably around the ankle) with wear

What about daily care of the boots? Do I need to use leather conditioner and boot polish or just polish is enough?

I wouldn't be able to get my feet into those boots! I have very wide feet and find boots like this far too narrow. Boots are very personal and I think you have to try lots on to see what suits your feet. I do my everyday riding in Arriat Grasmeres which are lovely and comfortable and then I have Mountain Horse long black riding boots for competitions. My Mountain Horse boots took a while to drop but they are fine now.

Good luck with your new boots. Hopefully there will be care instructions on the box telling you how to look after them.

Plan to use them for riding lessons only for now, the barn floor is clean enough and riders will mount the horse in the stable and ride it out to the paddock so it will be relatively easy for me to clean it.

I wouldn't be able to get my feet into those boots! I have very wide feet and find boots like this far too narrow. Boots are very personal and I think you have to try lots on to see what suits your feet. I do my everyday riding in Arriat Grasmeres which are lovely and comfortable and then I have Mountain Horse long black riding boots for competitions. My Mountain Horse boots took a while to drop but they are fine now.

Good luck with your new boots. Hopefully there will be care instructions on the box telling you how to look after them.
You can go full custom made for Cavallo boots but it can be pricey, I'm lucky that I only need partial custom measurements because my calf is larger and shaft height needs to be shorter.

Wear them around home to start with, like while doing the dishes etc, as they will be tight and stiff to start and will need breaking in! Mine took aaages!

I dont know about wearing them around at home or walking in them to soften them. When I bought expensive boots I was told not to use them except for riding.
Cavallo were highly recommended to me by someone on NR years ago, but until you put boots on, you really wont know how they fit.
As far as I know, dressage boots should be supple at the ankle - our RI was most particular about that and preferred short boots and half chaps to stiff long boots.

But again, since I dont believe in the old adage of pushing your heels down, I wouldnt make that a reason for choosing boots. If you look at Charlotte du Jardin's website you will see that in most of the pics her feet are pretty much parallel to the ground. In fact the one with the heels pushed low is when she was a little girl and in those days kids were taught to do that.

The advantage of long boots is that the close smooth fit of the leather up the inside of your leg gives you a very direct feel of the horse while protecting your legs from getting pinched by the stirrup leathers. And they may be lighter to ride in which is what I like. They are smooth soled so give less grip on the ground but make you ride better as you have to position your foot nicely in the stirrup.
The disadvantage is that they are soft - so dont give protection for grooming and leading. Having a horse step on your toe wearing fine books can hurt. And you have to keep your legs slim enough (i.e. dont put on weight) to zip up the boots without restricting your circulation and without stretching the boots.
My long boots have been polished a lot using normal black shoe cream - Woly I think. All our riding boots are kept well polished, it softens and preserves the leather. If you look after them they will last for ever.
And I notice that the boots you have chosen have proper old fashioned heels , meaning they can be re-heeled which you will probably need to do every couple of years even if you dont walk in them.

Reactions: Ong
I dont know about wearing them around at home or walking in them to soften them. When I bought expensive boots I was told not to use them except for riding.
Cavallo were highly recommended to me by someone on NR years ago, but until you put boots on, you really wont know how they fit.
As far as I know, dressage boots should be supple at the ankle - our RI was most particular about that and preferred short boots and half chaps to stiff long boots.

But again, since I dont believe in the old adage of pushing your heels down, I wouldnt make that a reason for choosing boots. If you look at Charlotte du Jardin's website you will see that in most of the pics her feet are pretty much parallel to the ground. In fact the one with the heels pushed low is when she was a little girl and in those days kids were taught to do that.

The advantage of long boots is that the close smooth fit of the leather up the inside of your leg gives you a very direct feel of the horse while protecting your legs from getting pinched by the stirrup leathers. And they may be lighter to ride in which is what I like. They are smooth soled so give less grip on the ground but make you ride better as you have to position your foot nicely in the stirrup.
The disadvantage is that they are soft - so dont give protection for grooming and leading. Having a horse step on your toe wearing fine books can hurt. And you have to keep your legs slim enough (i.e. dont put on weight) to zip up the boots without restricting your circulation and without stretching the boots.
My long boots have been polished a lot using normal black shoe cream - Woly I think. All our riding boots are kept well polished, it softens and preserves the leather. If you look after them they will last for ever.
And I notice that the boots you have chosen have proper old fashioned heels , meaning they can be re-heeled which you will probably need to do every couple of years even if you dont walk in them.
Part of the reason why I choose long boots is because I felt there is no support at the ankle with half chaps and short boots, you can move freely but I prefer to have some support on that area. Long boots just looks apart, wear and tear shouldn't be a problem as I won't be walking a lot with my boots on. No grooming needed for me either as I'm going to riding school for lessons, leading will be just a short distance as I can only mount in thee stable then just ride it to the paddock.

After more than 10 weeks finally I got my boots, I bought it from Reitsport Zimmermann in Germany and they ordered the wrong model and I ended getting Cavallo Varius, sigh. The measurements are correct and very comfy to wear. Will be riding on Tuesday with this and see how it feels like, but so far walking in it feels very comfortable. I suppose the laces help make it more maneuverable.
unnamed.jpg

Reactions: Trewsers
The important height in riding boots is at the back in the fold under your knee. If it is too high and the boot is too stiff it will impeded circulation.
But there is a problem with this thread. OP asks how things ought to be, yet there is no real ought.

It is a case of what you want. You say you want support at the ankles - so presumably a rigid boot, while our RI demands that we have very flexible legs when riding, including our toes and ankle joints.
And you may note from another thread that some of us use sprung stirrups too, to reduce the strain on our joints. The same RI recommends this to her older students. We dont aim for and stiffness or support.

I just tried the boots this morning and it's so comfortable, the laces provides more flexibility so that I can easily keep my heels down. What the shop told me is that Cavallo cannot manufacture the Saltaris for my measurements so instead they change it to Varius, and the Varius is actually more expensive but I don't have to pay extra. Very happy with the boots.

newrider.com