Caspar The Friendly Horse

I am highly suspicious of both the vet cert from Cavan sales and the dealer TBH, considering all that you have now said. I think your only alternative is to return him and hope you can get something either more suitable for your needs, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the dealer asks money on top to fulfill your wish list. Or else something good enough to be able to sell on with a bit of work put in and then look elsewhere for your future eventing horse.

Charlies Angels advice - although sensible and a possible alternative, if as we now know this club foot is a serious problem according to your experts (vet and farrier) even with further work you may find a very limited market for him even as a hack if it is such an obvious and potentially capable of finishing ANY ridden career.

I wouldn't beat yourself up - you won't be the first nor the last to buy a pig in a poke when horse shopping, myself included - I would just do a damage limitation exercise as quickly as possible and move on. I would not even entertain the idea of taking the deale3r to court frankly. The time spent and finances ploughed into it if he fights your claim could be devastating financially and emotionally.:(

I would be contacting the vet who issued the vet very at the sales if it were me then contacting the dealer with the intention of taking him to court. Chances are it's all bravado considering he knows he has stitched you up.

At last lessons have been learned. Go over everything with a fine tooth comb and not just on how the horse feels to you and the vibes it gives off.

Reactions: squidsin
Just tried to look back at your vids of him to try and spot the conformation problem but I cant see them?
You can in the photos. Look at how he stands there is nothing supporting that fetlock.
My friends horse is similar and does endurance no jumping.

I wonder if the Irish vet certificates are done different to the UK. I have only seen them say suited to competiton here, not specifically what.

It sounds to me like the original vet certificate is dodgy - either a tame vet who says what the dealer wants them to say, or forged. Having just had two vettings done for Angel, there's no way a club foot would be missed. They literally tell you about every hair that's lying in the wrong direction!

Can you ring the vet who signed off the original certificate and ask them how they missed a club foot? I'd follow that up first, if I was you, with a view to returning and getting my money back. Either that or chalk it up to experience, sell him on as a hack, take a hit for the cash (sorry!) and get something suitable for what you want.

Thanks @Jane&Ziggy & @mystiquemalaika
I know he will be going back or on so I am finding it hard to spend time with him. I feel I need to distance myself from him a bit.

I am sorry to read this - it must be a difficult time. At the risk of sounding very emotional though, don't distance yourself too much from him, else won't he wonder why he's not being asked to do anything ? And maybe feel out of sorts? I know I am probably over analysing and humanising him, he is a horse I know. And I can also imagine how difficult it is to decide what to do. Just a thought - not poking my nose in or anything!! Just trying to say it might seem odd for him.

Reactions: Cortrasna
Well he's gone. I decided to take control and just trailer him back to the dealers yard. He agreed to a replacement or credit note. 17hh of horse does not fit easily into an ifor Williams! He looked into the trailer then at me as if you say 'you're kidding!'
But with a little quiet persuasion he loaded. Bless him. So trusting. He knew he was 'home' I think. Whinnied to his old pals. We turned him out and he ran off with them bucking and playing. That was lovely to see. Dealer won't accept there is a problem with him so he'll be sold on I guess. Just hope whoever has him is more keen on hacking/general riding. The dealer won't want to see him back again so I'm sure he'll avoid selling to anyone who wants to event or showjump.

Such a shame for you as he was a sweetie and I'm sure to will miss him, but the right decision. xxx

Reactions: KP nut
Makes it even harder when they're a nice person and you get on with them, shame for you and Casper. Will you be restricted to buying from just this dealer now? Shame they wouldn't just give you your money back.

You may have made a massive mistake, but that is up to you I guess. If you think this person will treat you fairly then I suppose that will be for you to find out but what you have done seems very naive for someone who posts the way you do.

I hope you have any agreement in a signed contract as I can see you losing your money or being given another pig in a poke.

newrider.com