Cantering in corners

charlotte_ann_

Aug 10, 2017
Hi all,
I have recently retaken up riding and just beginning to regain my confidence with cantering.
However I struggle to plan out my canter and because of this I loose all control of my body position and use my reins to balance! I also start flapping all over with my heels. Especially in corners! Is there any tips to help me get more prepared and plan for my canter?

Are you having lessons, because really your RI is the person to be helping you with this and perhaps a couple of private lunge lessons would help.

Before you canter get a decent trot & make sure you're balanced & organised in that. As you approach the corner you want to pick up canter in sit trot for three strides & check your position then ask for canter with the canter aid the horse is used to. As you ask think of riding uphill and when you've got the canter sit still & don't grip with the knees. A neck strap that you can loop a finger through may help keep your hands still & stop you balancing on them.

I do think lessons are the way to go though.

Reactions: HaloHoney and MrC
You dont say how old you are or how long it is since you first rode or last rode?
Carthorse is right that lessons and lunge lessons are the best preparation for canter. All I would add here, particularly if you are on your own and planning canter is to treat yourself as you would a pupil. Make sure you dont hurry to canter before you have the basic building blocks of balance and control in place in trot.

Many of us on the forum took a long time to learn to canter. There is all sort of pressure on adult riders in a RS to canter a.s.p. - in order to ride more cheaply with a group or to hack out. And the pressure to canter causes stress and misery as well as ruining your pleasure in horses. Take your time.

But let us suppose that the real problem for you and about which you are asking is losing your balance on corners in canter? If this is the case that is a common and specific problem. It is really best sorted out in a good lunge lesson, cantering on a circle. Because cantering round a corner is like riding the arc of a circle. (Richard Davidson talks abut this in his DVD on enjoying dressage). He says that the length of the arc approaching the corner should match the length after it before you rejoin the track. Once you are happy cantering on a circle (balanced and not twisting your body, ) you could try transferring that sensation to the corners of the school - riding very gradual corners.

One does not canter a right angle except in very advanced pirouettes!

Shortening the arc at the corners of the school i.e. leaving the track later and rejoining it sooner - will depend on your horse. Some riding school horses are not able to canter small circles (or tight corners).

Just curious @Skib as to why this is your opinion:confused:

I keep my boys at a riding school not on working livery but at the same yard and I now after a number of years know all the riding school horses and I to believe what @Skib to be true. It will depend of the level of horses at the school my yard there is not a lot of advanced riders and the horses that are lovely are just not made to work in the right shape or made to do any more advanced work then then standard walk, trot canter on a large circle or around the edge of the arena.

In 5 years I have not seen many probably one or two riders that are advanced enough to be able to control a horse to hold it in the correct frame to be able to ride a smaller then 20m circle. To ride a horse correctly on a smaller circle is hard work for the horse and rider normally by this point in someones riding they have moved off riding school and are on to a share. Therefore the riding school horses don't really have to. Plus the RI at my yard will try and protect the horses as best they can.

newrider.com