Can't find a bit to suit pony and daughter.

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
My daughters pony came with a Wilkie, however I don't like them so have been trying to find something else for the last month or so. It's so hard and tbh I'm almost at the point of giving in, the pony goes really well in a Wilkie and haven't found anything else with enough control that the pony is happy with yet. Our ri doesn't see why I have a issue with it and thinks I'm on a pointless search which I've got to admit maybes I am. x

I'm starting to think that way myself now:( The pony was originally used for showing so I think that's why she was put in a wilkie. Don't really like bits with a gag action for my kids, however mild, infact I just don't was to look like a mum who's chosen the latest fashionable bit for my daughters pony when that really isn't the case. x

Didn't wilkie's become common place in show ponies because they were effective yet mild enough for kids to use? I get not wanting to follow the fashion but if it became fashionable for a good solid reason that is appropriate to your situation I can understand using it. And if the pony likes it that's surely got to be an important factor in the decision of what to use?
What other bits have you tried? have you considered something like a hooked myler snaffle? it would give the slightly firmer rein action and possibly a tiny bit of poll action but doesn't have the sliding cheeks.

Reactions: tikkitti
Yes, I think they became popular cause it helps make the pony work nicely and hold it's head well (so obviously ideal for the show ring.) I will look about and try a myler, I've had mainly snaffles, French link, fulmer, straight bar, and even tried a kimblewick although my ideal would be a plain snaffle or French link:) Even thought maybe a dr Bristol but haven't tried one yet x

Reactions: Jessey
A hooked Myler is just the same action as a Wilkie, ie a gag.

Tikkitti I'd rather teach a child to use a slightly stronger bit lightly, be secure in their seat and confident than have them hanging on to a milder bit, being pulled out of position & scared. I suspect the pony would prefer the former too.

The thing is my 11 year old can manage her in a eggbut snaffle, but the 7 year old doesn't have brakes, as it's the 7 year olds pony it's a problem. I found the same with my daughters fell I can ride her in a happy mouth fulmer but my 11 year old daughter has no brakes. If it was just finding the bit to suit the pony that's easy, it's finding one to suit both of them that's the hard part.x

A hooked Myler is just the same action as a Wilkie, ie a gag.

Tikkitti I'd rather teach a child to use a slightly stronger bit lightly, be secure in their seat and confident than have them hanging on to a milder bit, being pulled out of position & scared. I suspect the pony would prefer the former too.
I know so would I therefore I know I may have to compromise, obviously my daughter having brakes without chewing at her ponys mouth is my no 1 priority. x

How is your seven year old riding? It's a difficult one because the pony needs to listening to all the aids before the bit comes into play. That can be hard to teach to a young child. What does the pony do and where are the issues?

It can be hard to have riders of differing skill and knowledge sharing. I know RS ponies manage but yours isn't a RS pony. Some people do change the bit for different disciplines, so is changing the bit for the rider any different?

Dr Bristol isn't a huge change from a french link - I have one for my girlie for jumping (it's also a 3 ring gag though, as the Dr Bristol alone isn't enough when she gets really excited and strong.) Might be enough to be a bit more than a snaffle without anything as strong as a gag, if you just need a fraction more brakes!

The pony is my 7 year olds and tbh she is generally the only rider. My daughter can walk trot canter and starting on tiny jumps ATM, the pony she's a forward little welsh a. My daughter has weekly lessons from a PC ai and works well within her lessons the pony seems to just be too strong for her in a snaffle type and became heady in a kimblewick. I'd put my 11 year old on board to try her with the change of bit before letting my 7 year old ride her but it was a pointless exercise as my 11 year old was fine with a snaffle however my 7 year old wasn't, hence still no further forward. I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill both the pony and my daughter seem to like the Wilkie it's just something I feel my daughters too novice to use. Having said that I suppose in some showing circles there are much younger children riding in a Wilkie. x

What does your RI feel? She knows both parties and has seen them ride.
Is it the bit you have concerns with or the combo of bit plus mouthpiece?
I had concerns when I choose an eggbutt snaffle, I didn't like the thought of the nutcracker action. But my lass goes well in it and listens to it if I touch the rein.
I do hack out in a French link giving her the option to be softer, but I just know it doesn't give me the same communication or feel and she can take the upper hoof if she felt like it.

Our ri feels she rides fine in it although does understand my concerns but feels my daughter has a independent seat and is kind enough with hands, she thinks I'm a worrier:D:D:D x

newrider.com