Broken ice

I have just come up with an emergency plan :p:p:p My trough is galvanized steel and sits propped up on bricks, I think theres a gap just big enough to stick a couple of those disposable BBQ's under it :p it's never going to 'warm' the whole tank but it might be enough to defrost it in case of emergency :p Obviously I would only do it when I am around to supervise :)

Reactions: Prjsmk
I have just come up with an emergency plan :p:p:p My trough is galvanized steel and sits propped up on bricks, I think theres a gap just big enough to stick a couple of those disposable BBQ's under it :p it's never going to 'warm' the whole tank but it might be enough to defrost it in case of emergency :p Obviously I would only do it when I am around to supervise :)
Genius lol

My water tap in the shed froze last night. I have a heat lamp over it but I pinched the bulb out of it last night to put in the shed where I have a sheep in with pneumonia. Her heat lamp blew yesterday and I didn't want her getting cold. Fortunately I filled a bucket of water and left it in the shed last night just in case. Sheep's had pooped in her water so this morning I've used the emergency water. I've put a new bulb in over the tap so that should be thawed later. Will fill plenty of buckets tonight.

Reactions: Jessey
The salt water bottle doesnt look like it will work. I had to sledge hammer the 4" thick ice (id only been breaking 1 end) and forked it out
FB_IMG_1519757960003.jpg
and popped in my bottle of salt water, this was an hour later
FB_IMG_1519757963101.jpg
FB_IMG_1519757966425.jpg

Darn I was supposed to take the label off. I forgot. Looks like you have too.
I've just popped one in the sheep trough tonight. There was ½ inch on mine. So its thawed during the day a bit.
The rams water inside is frozen I didn't have another bottle so I've put a tuperware beaker of strong salt water in.
I figure I can use the salt water after the thaw to add in for my soaked sugar beet pellets. So they won't go to waste.

I didn't even think about the label, pretty sure it's plastic tho so shouldn't disintegrate.

I decided I couldn't do this with Hank's tank, he'd try to eat it. I thought I had a ball I could put in his but it had a hole in so will just have to keep breaking his.

Def didn't work, an inch of ice all over, apart from where Jess punched a hole through and the bit where the bottle is, but that would still be clear with an empty bottle I think.28468087_10156110237552246_1192680600012867844_n.jpg

Did anyone see the bucket lined with hay/straw then another smaller bucket in that to stop it freezing? I wonder if that works. The snow just about killed me lol, knee deep snow, wind blowing off the hills and i was lugging barrels of water to fill prjs buckets and of course hes fenced right at the bottom end of the field! Was doing it 3 times a day because the bucket water eas just freezing to blocks and the trough had 5 inch thick ice on that i broke but then i emptied the trough and it didnt refill due to frozen pipes! Its broke my soul lol

Did anyone see the bucket lined with hay/straw then another smaller bucket in that to stop it freezing? I wonder if that works. The snow just about killed me lol, knee deep snow, wind blowing off the hills and i was lugging barrels of water to fill prjs buckets and of course hes fenced right at the bottom end of the field! Was doing it 3 times a day because the bucket water eas just freezing to blocks and the trough had 5 inch thick ice on that i broke but then i emptied the trough and it didnt refill due to frozen pipes! Its broke my soul lol
I used to do this in the stable, it helped a bit. I tried a more waterproof version (if the straw gets wet it just freezes) with expandy foam which, per my previous post, didn't work so well.

newrider.com