Boots again! Are Harry Hall Brunswick wellies good for riding in?

Dazzle

May 27, 2016
Devon
Hello, I posted on here a while ago about boots and have since been going mad trying on various types/brands etc to no avail. I fell in love with the look of Toggi Calgary boots but they are far too long for me and dig into my kneecap. I want long boots, purely because I like the look of them, but I just can't seem to find any that look nice, fit and are comfortable. The only thing I've found that I like and fit well is Harry Hall Brunswick wellies - but are these good for actually riding in or are they only yard work? I currently ride in bog standard wellies but they are too big for me. I like the fact that you can tighten the Brunswicks around your calf, they're also a bit more affordable than most long boots.

Not seen those. Toggi Calgaries used to come in a short length too, cos I am only 5ft nothing and I am pretty sure I must have bought short length as they were okay.
I personally would feel wellies a bit clubby / bulky for riding in, even the ones that say you can like muck boots (I had the riding ones). Don't know where abouts you are in the country but Robinsons used to stock a wide range of long riding boots in varying lengths. Ariat Windermeres are designed for riding and they aren't too long on me. Hope you find some, it can be quite a trial finding ones that you like and that are comfy.

Reactions: Dazzle
Not seen those. Toggi Calgaries used to come in a short length too, cos I am only 5ft nothing and I am pretty sure I must have bought short length as they were okay.
I personally would feel wellies a bit clubby / bulky for riding in, even the ones that say you can like muck boots (I had the riding ones). Don't know where abouts you are in the country but Robinsons used to stock a wide range of long riding boots in varying lengths. Ariat Windermeres are designed for riding and they aren't too long on me. Hope you find some, it can be quite a trial finding ones that you like and that are comfy.

Thanks, I'm 5ft 2 and finding all the long boots way too long! I will look into Ariat Windermeres.

Have you considered heel lifters for long boots? When I was looking at Long boots a few weeks ago, the lady introduced me to these little wedges you slip inside the boots to stop them digging into the backs of your legs! Genius!!

Reactions: Dazzle and Trewsers
I haven't looked back since discovering neoprene boots - My green "Bogs" for dog walking, and my black "Grubbs" for riding! Not particularly cheap, but worth every penny for warmth, comfort and a bit of spring in the sole too! Ideal for muddy paddocks and easy to get on and off too.

Thanks for the Grubbs recommendation @Judy S , I am looking for a pair of sterilisable boots to take to Iceland and they look great! But the sizing is rubbish for a 5 and a half UK. May I ask you what the sizing is like - are they wide, narrow, long? Thanks!

When my long boots die. I will dig deep and get a new zip or sole or whatever gives. They don't make these anymore and dead the search for more.
I would be looking at equi leather as well. Wipe and go!

I normally wear a wide 7 1/2 uk size shoe, and read that a UK size 8 (42 Eu size) would fit me best, after reading the reviews. As I like a thickish sock, the size 8 have proved to be ideal for me, and comfy to ride in, and comfy to dismount on to hard ground. From that I think you might need to order a slightly larger size than usual, unless of course you have very narrow feet and slim calves.

I normally wear a wide 7 1/2 uk size shoe, and read that a UK size 8 (42 Eu size) would fit me best, after reading the reviews. As I like a thickish sock, the size 8 have proved to be ideal for me, and comfy to ride in, and comfy to dismount on to hard ground. From that I think you might need to order a slightly larger size than usual, unless of course you have very narrow feet and slim calves.

Thank you! I have wide feet and chunky calves so will go up :)

Thanks, I'm 5ft 2 and finding all the long boots way too long!

Have you tried kids boots? My oldest daughter has these:

https://www.millbryhill.co.uk/child...l-c169/toggi-childs-ravine-country-boot-p3599

Which are more country boots than riding boots but she rides in them occasionally and does ok and they have a shorter leg. They go up to a size 5.

There's also these:

https://www.millbryhill.co.uk/child...0/toggi-childs-carlton-long-riding-boot-p3597

https://www.millbryhill.co.uk/child...unior-bromont-tall-boots-p4697#attribute[1]=8

I like those :)
Thankfully just got myself some wellies. Managed three winters with current pair.

I would shop around on price because it's February. I only paid £18 for mine.

Reactions: SeeingSpots
newrider.com