Bits for jumping?

HaloHoney

Apr 30, 2017
I know virtually nothing about bitting and horses.

I have experienced a couple of occasions when jumping my new horse that he has a tendency to be quite strong when he's excited. Gets excited/strong at the sight of coloured poles/XC fences. I have 2 bits for him at the moment both of them snaffles of some sort (one loose ring French link snaffle, one loose ring copper lozenge snaffle). He wears a Flash bridle. I find myself needing to repeatedly ask him to slow down/put the brakes on.

I have noticed on the photos I was sent when I viewed him that there are pics of him being hunted in a kimblewick, and doing XC in a Pelham with roundings (as identified by friend with lots of experience of horses).

Would him being a bit strong when jumping be a reason why he'd be in one of these bits? He seems happy in a snaffle when doing flatwork.

What's the difference between those 2 bits?

Is one gentler than the other? I can see what type of bit they are but not what's in his mouth. Does this make a massive difference to the function of the bit?

What are the risks of using these bits? And the benefits?

I've got friends who jump their strong horses in a Waterford. Is that the same sort of thing?

I guess I just want to make sure I'm not assuming it's the bit that's the issue and not something else I could be doing. The last thing I want to do is slap a strong bit on him but not tackle any underlying issue (my crappy riding) - it's pure excitement not nastiness and although strong (my shoulders and back ache afterwards!) he's still respectful of me saying "not today, mate" when hacking through the woods past the XC fences.

It's quite clear that jumping is what he loves doing. I love seeing him so excited. I just hope I can do his talent justice - there's a 1'6" XC comp on 10th September at my yard that I'd like to have a go at. So I figured we could try out different bits now if we needed to!

A kimblewick and pelham are both curb action bits (as you pull it engages a strap or chain in the curb under the chin) they give you varying degrees of leverage depending on how far below the mouthpiece the reins are attached and how far above the mouthpiece the curb is attached, leverage effectively multiplies any force you apply, a snaffle bit is a direct action with no leverage so the horse feels the exact same ammount of pressure that you apply to the rein.

A kimblewick is ridden with a single rein and gives a little leverage, more so if tge reins can't slide on the ring like those with slots.

A pelham is designed to be used with double reins so you have separately controlled snaffle and curb reins, adding roundings makes it like a kimblewick in that the curb will always be activated when pressure is applied but often they give slightly more leverage than a kimblewick in this set up because they generally put the rein further away from the mouthpiece but that isn't always true.

The mouthpiece can change the action of the bit within the mouth and affect the severity of it.

Reactions: HaloHoney
I would speak to your RI who sees you riding.
You haven't long started jumping and it's a new partnership. Your perception of strong might actually be forwards.
Mine is quite lazy but with poles she is interested and is actually forwards.
If he is rushing that's something your RI can help you with and possibly suggest a different bit if needed.
Mine ignored the French link but likes the peanut mouthpiece.

I also think it a good idea to take some advice from someone who's knowledge you respect (RI for instance? ) and who has seen you and the horse jumping IRL. Dolly is always in a Neue Schule baucher (https://www.horsebitbank.com/ns-tranz-angled-lozenge-baucher-51.phtml) and it suits her very well. But on the very odd and rare occasion when we do jump a few things out hacking she does get very keen to say the least - but to me it isn't an indicator that she needs a stronger or different type of bit - just that she really enjoys a bit of a blast and I let her go for it within reason. I would never immediately jump (oh pardon the pun! :O ) to the conclusion or confuse being keen and excited with needing to up the severity or the style of bit, might just mean you need to readjust your riding style slightly to accommodate the newly found exuberance in your horse? :)

Well that was an education!

Just did our first bit of showjumping yesterday in a rubber surface arena- he's really bloody strong at a canter! o_O Trotting around he's light on the steering, but as soon as I asked him to go forward steering became v difficult. We need practice. But one or two jumps in the outdoor school aren't the sort of practice we need, nor is a grass arena with acres of space between jumps- doing those he's fine and no problem- we need to do a proper course of jumps. Going to work on getting him to do a collected canter, and play around with asking him for different canter speeds, and work on his turns in canter. That way I've got a fighting chance of being able to say "canter please... slower, slower... that fence in front of you- go!" Rather than "why can't I steer you? Not that fence, this one! Aaaagh!" Which was basically what our first round was yesterday! Second round much better- trotted him between fences and went for accuracy rather than speed. Came 4th!

Came 4th in the dressage overall too. He tried so hard for me though in the jumping and it's clear he loves jumping way more than flatwork- had to work hard to get a decent trot out of him in the dressage- stick a coloured pole near him- tiny amount of leg required and MASSIVE trot, ears pricked "OK let's go, Mum!" Going to see if I can get them to mark the dressage arena out with coloured poles instead of white boards... :D don't fancy my chances but hey...

Prix caprilli sounds like your thing then. ;)

I find it easier to rebalance mine in between jumps in trot. It could be that he is strong because he is getting on his forehand.
Polework could help you.

Did I read in one of your other threads that he's a schoolmaster who'd competed at 1m+, or am I imagining that? If he is it could be that he knows & wants to get on with his job, but he will know how to produce & maintain a good jumping canter - you "just" need to learn how to find & maintain it. So work first of all on getting it without fences around to fire him up, the chances are that what you actually need is more leg to keep the hinds stepping under so that he's more balanced & just use the hand to help contain him not bring the canter back. It might also be worth getting your RI on him to jump a course in an arena, that way you can watch to see what she does & she'll know what, exactly, you're dealing with. Of course if I'm confusing him with someone else's horse you probably need a completely different approach.

newrider.com