Best anti-chafe girth?

You can buy buckle guards.

Do you mean like those you use to protect the saddle flap from the girth buckle on a non-dressage girth? I never thought, you could use them lower down the billets on a dressage saddle and place them between horse and buckle. Not sure this would be a large/padded/smooth enough for my ridiculously sensitive and thin skinned horse, but it's certainly worth a thought.

I tried a stubben cord girth on Pete (as I heard good things about it and he is sensitive/prone to rubbing ) and he *hated* it.

I think it slipped forward and the 'knots' in it created the feeling of pressure points for him - plus it ended up rubbing him. But I've heard 99% great things about them, so trust Pete ....!

I'm just using a Thorowgood cob girth with a faux fur cover, but am getting him a sheepskin girth sleeve at Hickstead this week.

Any good saddler can fit guards behind the buckles for you @Bodshi so if you have one near you you coukd have them added to the dressage length stubben but i can highly recommend mohair like the one NA has showed a link to if you dont mind importing the USA has awesone stuff! Specialized saddles in the uk do sell the standard width mohair dressage girths with the buckle guards already fitted. They are more expensive but excellent girths!

How tight do you do your girth up? It could simply be too tight. An elasticated girth will only cause chaffing if you tighten it too much.

I personally would get a saddler come and double check the fit of your saddle to make sure that it isn't moving as you ride and therefore creating more pressure on the girth. A well fitted saddle with and girth done up at the correct tightness should not cause the horse to be sore, regardless of the type of girth you use.

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com