benzyl benzoate - how do i use it?

ruthb

Sep 23, 2005
I need advice please.
my horse has sweet itch and after trying endless remedies have got on to benzyl benzoate.
i got it from the chemist as a lotion in a bottle and not sure how to use it.

Do i put it on neat, or water it down?
How often do I put it on?
Does it need washing out or do I just leave it on?
Has it irritated anyone's horses skin? Should I do a patch test first?

Would be really grateful to know how anyone else has used it and if it has helped.
xxx

Don't get it in your eyes or lips of other sensetive bits!

We put it on and work it in with either rubber gloves or a wad of gamgee.

We don't water it, and we leave it on and wash it out occasionally and reapply.

we mix it with a bit of oil to stop the scurffy skin after
works really well
and it lasts longer

thank you

thank you! sorry to be thick but want to get this right: once you've worked it in (either with or without oil) do you reapply it regularly, or only as and when you give them a bath?

We put it on every day when the midges are about, it's messy, but it works.

You need to apply it daily along the crest and dock - and anywhere else your gets gets affected. If you mix it with some baby oil it will help prevent any rain washing it out. It's best to always wear gloves as it is a carcinogen.

I used it neat all last summer, this spring the vet told me to mix it half and half with liquid parrafin in a spray/mister bottle, I have done and it (fingers crossed) has worked ok so far. I use a tail bursh to really work it in, spray then brush. Wash mane/tail at least one a week if you use liquid parafin because there is a greasey build up.

You need to apply it daily along the crest and dock - and anywhere else your gets gets affected. If you mix it with some baby oil it will help prevent any rain washing it out. It's best to always wear gloves as it is a carcinogen.

If its dangerous to humans why is it OK for horses. I used to use it years ago and had no idea it was a carcinogen, I wont be using it again :eek:

I wasn't aware it was dangerous to humans, my mam was a district nurse and they used to treat scabies with it, in the same way, just dabbing it on. Unless things have changed this was 25 years ago.

I just checked out some info about benzyl, it is still used in humans, you just need to be aware that it can irritate skin, if so, wash it off and keep it away from the eyes, just keep checking for any irritation on your horse. I use it for feather mite as its an acaracide, have also used it for sweet itch with no ill effects. Good luck.

I fill a 10ml syringe with the benzyl benzoate to be sure to apply it to the skin and not just on top of the tail hairs.
Don't forget to massage it in !

I fill a 10ml syringe with the benzyl benzoate to be sure to apply it to the skin and not just on top of the tail hairs.
Don't forget to massage it in !

yup, best and most efficient way, saves wasting any plus gets the medication straight to skin. wear gloves !

If its dangerous to humans why is it OK for horses. I used to use it years ago and had no idea it was a carcinogen, I wont be using it again :eek:

in extreme danger of sounding thick here, but what is a carcinogen?:eek: :confused:herad it chemistry a few times but cant remember what it is?

in extreme danger of sounding thick here, but what is a carcinogen?:eek: :confused:herad it chemistry a few times but cant remember what it is?

Carcinogenic means cancer causing .. but you have to relativize a bit ..
it's carcinogenic because of the aromatic benzene in the molecule but it's probably safer than smoking cigarettes !

I think that probably long-term use of it may be where a problem may arise in humans. I found a 'natural' shampoo recently with it in.:confused: When prescribed for scabies, it's use would be only short-term.
It's a bit like ragwort really, a small amount won't do much harm, a large amount will.

newrider.com