Been done before but favourite colours??

devonlass

May 20, 2006
devon
So I know it's been done before but it always interests me what colour horses people like and what they don't like.

I don't really like many colours TBH,am rather picky:eek: Would never rule out a good horse on colour alone though.

So I like:

Bay/yellow dun-My favourite colour of all I think,my beautiful filly was this colour (RIP),and will have another one day,not yet as would just remind me of her and would always be comparing,but one day.

Appy-Only certain markings like near leopard and blanket,as don't like the pink mottled skin around the eyes and face that you get with some of the full spotted,or few spot ones.

Palomino-love this colour and is another one on my 'one day' list!!

Chestnut and liver chestnut-like both of these,especially with a flaxen mane and tail,lovely!!

Coloured-only certain ones though that have more colour than white,not fussed about what shade of colour either/any is fine with me!! Preferably without the white legs and face though,but that's only for practical reasons;)

Think that's about it really,although will probably think of more when other people post them lol

Colours I don't like would be:

Grey-way too much cleaning for my liking!!

Roan-Not a fan of this,looks kind of strange like going grey with age or something!!

Cremello-can't get my head around the paleness and the eyes,scares me a little bit TBH:eek:

Bay-just a bit common for me,although some of the bright bay's look very smart and shiny:)

Black-I have one of these but don't really like it,just looks a bit boring and is a struggle to make out features etc on a black horse,they sort of blend into everything lol

Think that's about it,just about all colours then really lol,told you I was picky:eek:

This is not meant to offend anyone,we all have different tastes.Is just interesting to see what we all prefer.Is not in any way a reference to horses we own now,as obviously we all love them regardless of colour.There are certainly many horses on here that I love even if they are on my 'don't like' list,as I feel like I know them and love them for reasons other than colour.Is just a bit of fun and curiousity:)

Think you know I like my black horses and also love greys so my choice is totally opposite to yours however I love a pretty Appy!

I love grey horses. The First riding school pony I fell In love with was called moth a 14hh grey pony who i always remember haveing purple WW brushing boots (the things you remember huh). The secong was Judy or Jitterbugs as i nicknamed her a 15hh Fleatbitten grey mare. The third was a Pony i loaned Ally, a 14'2 fleabitten grey. It was never intentional but I always fell In love with Grey mares with big ears. Now I own a bay Gelding lol! But still a big Big fan of greys <3 them. I alwys found them very loving and most were the faster Hyper type. I later found out its an old grannys tale that grey horses are honest and loving, and horses wth big ears are trustworthy! Explains all the small eared nutters that ditched me. Im not one to believe myths etc but If i count it up it fits :O lol! So yes my boys a bay gelding totaly opposite of my usual stereotype but I love him <3

I like all colours . . . totally subscribe to Mark Rashid's "A good horse is never a bad colour" . . . but I lurve greys (because that's what Kali is).

My favourite horses over the years have been all sorts of colours: Rocky (black), Bailey (palomino), Tommy (piebald), Dillon (roan), Sonny (chestnut). But when my dapple grey boy is clean and his silver tail streams behind him as he gallops up the field, my heart melts.

N

I like a nice bright chestnut and white skewbald (showing my age there, none of the tobiano technology for me!) and also like a nice grey if of the fluffy old pony variety. Something very comforting about them despite all the grooming:) That said love beautiful black on a Fell too!

Have always admired variations of Dun, very fond of a nice Mouse Dun, love Fjord colouring and all the Icelandics exotic duns.

Good job then that Arnie is Cream Dun - or Cream Bun as we call him:D

A lot of votes for grey then!! I think it's more the practical side of it that puts me off TBH,they are such a pain to keep clean.I always admire those people who seem to be able to keep them daz white,I'm sure I could never do that,would just look permanently brown!!

Think you know I like my black horses and also love greys so my choice is totally opposite to yours however I love a pretty Appy!

Oh I know you like your black horses hun;)

TBH I always liked it until I had one and tried to take pics of him,sounds random I know but you just can't make out the detail,they are so dark nothing shows up!!

Also find they blend into every background apart form snow lol

I must admit though nothing looks smarter in the summer when they are all shiny:)

I have a few spot Appy, my dad says her eyes look evil!

I like chestnut, theres nothing better than a bright shiny chestnut (I have 3 1/2 chestnut horses - Appy has a chestnut base)

My mum has a black who looks gorgeous when in her shiny summer coat, but if she doesn't wear a fly rug she turns brown.

I am quite partial to buckskins now as well, more sooty than buttermilk though.

Bays are a bit boring (although I have a bay)

I said I would never have another grey after my little one as she gets filthy, but then I got my few spot. I find greys don't really get a shine to their coats, but because my appy has a chestnut base colour the chestnut seems to shims through and make her shiny (she has very faint chestnut hairs through her coat)

I have a few spot Appy, my dad says her eyes look evil!

I like chestnut, theres nothing better than a bright shiny chestnut (I have 3 1/2 chestnut horses - Appy has a chestnut base)

My mum has a black who looks gorgeous when in her shiny summer coat, but if she doesn't wear a fly rug she turns brown.

I am quite partial to buckskins now as well, more sooty than buttermilk though.

Bays are a bit boring (although I have a bay)

I said I would never have another grey after my little one as she gets filthy, but then I got my few spot. I find greys don't really get a shine to their coats, but because my appy has a chestnut base colour the chestnut seems to shims through and make her shiny (she has very faint chestnut hairs through her coat)

Lol at the evil eyes,cremello's have that effect on me!! Kind of scary!!

I did have a most confused look on my face when first read your post,3 1/2 horses,was wondering what had happened to the other half:eek:

I get it now though lol

I am glad I am not the only one who would have a filthy grey,I just don't get how anyone cam keep them clean:confused:

Dapple grey is still gey lol,even they grey out and are a devil to keep clean in the end!!:p:D

Silver dapple :D

Should have known you would pick an unusual one;):D

I have a feeling you have a silver dapple as well?? I think you should put up a pic to enlighten us all:)

I love greys, palominos, piebalds, skewbalds, leopard spot ...

I ended up with a chestnut tho' :D

many years ago I saw a horse that was a steel grey with a white rump with black spots on. utterly gorgeous, to my eternal annoyance I didn't have a camera and my dad wouldn't let me use his for something as stupid as taking photos of horses, so I wasn't able to take a photo of him!

Should have known you would pick an unusual one;):D

I have a feeling you have a silver dapple as well?? I think you should put up a pic to enlighten us all:)

I do indeed have a silver dapple :D

Pics as requested.... ;)

Dec071.jpg

bob2.jpg

Lovely chev,and a bit of a show off by the looks of that last pic lol

They are quite rare aren't they?? Can't remember the details but I have a feeling you have said before that there are only so many around??

I love greys, palominos, piebalds, skewbalds, leopard spot ...

I ended up with a chestnut tho' :D

many years ago I saw a horse that was a steel grey with a white rump with black spots on. utterly gorgeous, to my eternal annoyance I didn't have a camera and my dad wouldn't let me use his for something as stupid as taking photos of horses, so I wasn't able to take a photo of him!

Yet another vote for the grey's I see,you lot must just love cleaning or something:p

I am guessing the horse you describe was some form of blanket spot?? One of my favourite appy markings:)

Lovely chev,and a bit of a show off by the looks of that last pic lol

They are quite rare aren't they?? Can't remember the details but I have a feeling you have said before that there are only so many around??

Rare in Welshies certainly - only a handful have tested positive for silver.

A lot more common in Rocky Mountain Horses, Missouri Fox Trotters, and Icelandics.

I wouldnt have a grey (even though my little Bianco actually is one:rolleyes:) - partly because of cleaning and partly because I am a bit paranoid about melanomas:eek:.

I love a coloured horse but again, wouldnt have one with a white tail and legs again (even though I've got Arnie) cos it drives me mad trying to keep him presentable.

I'm not a great chestnut fan (although, as I type this, I've had one of them in the past too:eek:).

Come back big bay horses:D - my beloved Skippy was a big bay horse and he was so easy to keep nice:D

newrider.com