Barricade Fly Repellant

flump1967

May 19, 2005
new forest
Following on from my last Fly Thread, my vet has recommended Barricade

http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/site.aspx?i=pr183739

It is not cheap at around £100 for a litre, but as you dilute it 1:50 with water it will last for ages.

Thing is - does it work??

Has anyone tried it at all?

If using it your vet has to sign your horse out of the food chain (yuck, would have had this done already if I had thought about it so off to get Arns passport signed out tomorrow) as this stuff enters bloodstream and is clearly not edible!

(PS Checked out the suggestions for other sorts of Fly stuff which is licensed for cattle and not for horses and am told that anyone using such a product without vets recommendation should be aware that they are invalidating their insurance should their horse suffer an allergic reaction so would not be covered vets fees wise - sort of puts me off a bit even if anecdotally peeps say stuff does work. Would be just my luck.:rolleyes:)

Have not seen previous thread,so sorry if have covered this already,but could you not use a fly rug??

TBH I have yet to find any fly spray/spot on that is very effective,and even if one does work (have found one spot on given the vet,and one over the counter one with deet that did work),they wear off a couple of hours after application.

I now use fly rugs for flys and avon skin so soft in the evening when fly rug comes off for midges.Seems to work well.

I don't and haven't had any horses with particular problems with flies though,and like I said haven't read original thread so sorry of there is a particular issue that am not aware of:eek:

Devonlass, issue is more being ridden than in the field with horrible crab Flies that get right up poor Arns bum and undercarriage so rug wouldn't do it. :(

newrider.com