Banish that pesky mud fever

flickermum

one life, live it!
Nov 12, 2008
Nottinghamshire
My horse has four white socks and typically has very sensitive pink skin under said white socks. He got mud fever at the beginning of the summer (6 months ago) and I had tried everything known to man to get rid of it, but for some reason, this bout didnt wanna go away, it got infected at one point and required anti B's. By this time, he had it on three legs, one of which, his off hind, was infected almost up to his hock. The anti B's helped, but then I tried Mud Guard feed supplement and that was two weeks ago, and guess what? It gone! completely! In all my years of working with horses, I have never known anything so effective on mud fever. It not particularly cheap but who cares if it qworks so well. Just wanted to pass on the info as this time of year is ripe for it.

It is a bacteria which lives in the soil as well so be careful turning out into the same field again for a while. Not sure how long it takes to die off??Anyone know how long??

What brand and where from please xx

It made by Naf and it called mud guard. It the feed supplement. It smells yummy and I reckon his coat looks amazing since he been on it aswell.Ya can get cream aswell, but that only does the same as udder cream which is loads cheaper.
Re: the dosage of the supplement, it recomends ya give em three scoops daily for a week to start with if mud fever present, then drop to one scoop to maintain, but I reckoned that was probably abit of marketing to make you use more,(I such a sceptic!;) so I just used two daily for four days than dropped to one every day for a fortnight and now it gone completely so I gonna try and lower the dosage to half scoop daily and see how it goes.:)

Does it actually prevent the mud fever from coming back? My cob is 26, when he was a young'un he was black with four white socks, so he's prone to it aswell. I've gotten rid of it at least three times now, but i'm fed up and so is he, he wants to be out again!

I tried feeding Mud Guard to my old cob & it did nothing for his mud fever so it's not a miracle cure unfortunately. Feeding Evening Primrose Oil worked well for him, feeding linseed can also help IME. What works for one horse doesn't always work for another but if you do a search on here for mud fever you'll get plenty of suggestions for stuff to try :)

newrider.com