Balancing a 2 wheeler

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
So when I hopped in the cart yesterday I felt a bit tipped forwards, I wasn't going to fuss with it too much yesterday as we weren't going far and it was hanks first time in the shafts, but am happier to spend a bit of time today fiddling with it, so what's the best way to balance him up? I think the tug holders can be moved up on the back band, or the shaft angle can be adjusted (Robinsons jobby) am I just looking for the floor or seat to be level-ish to the ground?
This is the best side on pic I have from yesterday
IMG_20160411_090151.JPG

Can you move the seat back on the cart? If you are heavy on move the seat back or raise the tugs, The passenger will have to help balance the cart too when they are in,

By the looks you can afford to get him nearer his work too, Shorten the traces a few holes and let the breeching out. He cannot use his shoulder on the shafts, you'll find this will make the cart balance better too. As long as his hocks don't his the cart you can afford to get him closer to the cart.
See if you can get the tug stop hard up against the tug on level ground and adjust the traces so on the level, when he's pulling the big tug buckle is on the middle of the pad. Pull the cart back so the traces are tight and you ought to be able to get 4 fingers in the breeching. then push the cart on to him and the breeching ought to tighten before the tug stops push the tug buckle forward off the pad.

It's hard to explain

I think the seat is already adjusted all the way back but I will double check it. That does make sense, I did shorten the traces after that pic and then the tugs sat on the saddle better
Hank driving.jpg
I need to put a couple more eyelets in the traces tonight though as to shorten them I hooked them right over the swingle tree rather than going onto the hooks yesterday as we had run out of holes :p might need to put another one or two to let the breaching out too as those carrier straps were on the last hole. The shafts on this cart were shortened slightly by the previous owner (they just chopped 6" off the ends) as they said it was poking their pony in the neck???

you would probably need to go up 2 holes with the traces. Some time s with these little carts you have to position yourself to help balance it, brace your feet farther forwards and sit back more. Daft as it sounds you do need a good position for a small 2 wheeler, If you and the passenger slouch the cart won;t balance. :D

It really does not look far off a really good fit. Be prepared to mess and fiddle for a while yet. My carriage driving instructor is as bad as me for random adjustment half way though a drive. Even with harness and carts that are regularly driven out, For some inexplicable reason, one day you might have to alter a bit of kit then next week put it back to where it was.

Reactions: Jessey
You will probably find that the shaft supports (that form the little triangle where you have a strip of hi viz) have adjustable holes. We had to play around with the balance on Albi's but it didn't take much.

You will probably find that the shaft supports (that form the little triangle where you have a strip of hi viz) have adjustable holes. We had to play around with the balance on Albi's but it didn't take much.
Yeah it does, looking at the above picture though the floor of the cart looks pretty level, perhaps its just the seat that tilts forwards

Wally is brillant at tweeking to get right! She was jumping on and off the carriage on Posys maiden voyage perfecting it all ! Posys carriage is a touch to big I feel, just a smidgen but with Wally and I on it it balances out well. Posys 4 wheeler comes on wednesday will make life alot easier lol !. Everyone needs a Wally tweeking lol !!

Hank looks brilliant and relaxed ! look forward to following his new little job!

He looks rather gorgeous in his little set up:) Hopefully we will have a lovely summer with lots of nice days now he's officially on the road. x

I put 3 extra holes in the traces tonight, but still feel I need another one or two. I also popped the tugs up a hole as the seat is already adjusted all the way back, when I hopped in I had to sit very carefully and a little forward to keep it balanced so I think it was better down one, it has a sliding back band so can I have them on odd holes to get a half holes worth of adjustment?
We went further tonight, still only 1/4 mile or so and tackled the little block which has a couple of little slopes and he was a superstar :D really happy to hold the cart on the breaching and we had a couple of lovely trots, feeling brave on the way home I cut my leader loose and we negotiated the narrow gap onto the lane and had our first solo trot :D
No driving pics, but I think he was keen as he just hung out with the cart while I was getting organised even though jess was down the field munching a big pile of hay
IMG_20160411_210217.JPG IMG_20160411_210238.JPG

Sounds like he's taken to his new job like a duck to water !! It's lovely to see little ones with a job then as ornaments! They are so willing and clever !

If the seat was on a proper slider it would be a lot better, that and the shaft furniture in the right place.

Peeriemanss carriage is a 4 wheeled little dray ( thats coming in June) should make life alot easier when it comes to his turn!

We did our 3rd drive out last night, the same route as yesterday (which I mapped at 0.62 of a mile) he went leaderless from the start :D and was great, my friend walked a while then I had her hop in with me, he didn't appear to struggle loads but did run out of steam quite quickly pulling the both of us but weather that was just that or the fact that was the 3rd day in a row pulling who knows, he now gets a few days rest anyway :D

newrider.com