Bad Hair Days

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Flipo2007.jpg

This is Flipo, for anyone who hasn't already seen him shamelessly paraded in a few threads. The hair sticks out as his main feature so I'm also shamelessly using it as the title of my member's diary. If nothing else, you can expect a daft photo of Flipo's latest hair do each month.

My posts are going to be a totally self indulgent therapy session to motivate me to keep going and look back at what (hopefully) Flip and I have achieved over the coming months. I welcome any advice as a confidence lacking novice, but I just want to keep a record of my experience so I can chart (any) progress. I expect my story will not be anything out of the ordinary so feel free to ignore my ramblings:eek:

Background
Flip is a 15.2hh, 9yr old Belgian Draft imported from Netherlands winter 2008/9 and bought from a RS in August 2009. We know nothing about his background, other than the info provided by the dealer - which I take with a pinch of salt.
I'm Kirstin, 29 (for four more days:eek:) and Flip was my 30th B'day present to myself. My sister and I had ponies from age 9 - 17 when I went to uni. I was one of those daft idiots who took a run and jump at my pony, cantered around bareback with just headcollar and leadrope. I am now older and w.. sorry heavier.

Aim
God I'm writing this like a coaching record from work.... I bought Flipo to happily hack about with. My ultimate aim is to take a packed lunch and disappear for a few hours alone with my trusty stead, just enjoying the countryside. I have great respect and admiration for those who are capable of showing and eventing however I know my limitations.
I would also love to lose some weight - thats going to be the tiny number at the bottom of my post to help me keep track!

222:(

Reactions: orbvalley
I wouldnt be at all bothered about achieving anything with Flipo TBH - if I had him and never had one ride on him I'd be just as happy to gaze lovingly on him grazing in my field:D He is just gorgeous and soooo huggable;)

Like you I too daydream about plodding off on my cobby for several hours - all relaxed and happy with a little packed lunch in my pocket - shall watch your progress with interest and lets encourage one and other to aim for that when the summer eventually arrives?:)

Great idea with the diary. Will be looking out for it :)

P.S
I'm really hoping that the number at the bottom isn't in Kg. If it is my sympathy has now shifted to lay with Flip :p

Thankyou you two!!

It may become clear that I am a total pessimist (although I'd actually say realist with low expectations) but I doubt I will be chugging off on solo hacks for at least another year Contrasna :( But thankyou, yes, he's been a field ornament for the last six weeks and if I couldn't ever ride him again (godforbid) I wouldn't be unhappy just pottering around with him. Mutual moral support sounds good to me!!! Now bring on the summer...

Honey65, with the amount of chocolate I've eaten over the past week I actually doubt myself - I'm away to double check my scales were in lbs not kgs!

Will enjoy following your diary ... I have similar goals this year for myself (lose weight) and Rusty (hack out alone or in company). Good luck with your handsome boy.

Thankyou tbaynancy, I promise not to moan about the cold weather - we've got nothing on you at the moment:eek:

I was actually craving lettuce yesterday Lins, I've had enough chocolate for the rest of this decade.

August 2009

Hair009.jpg

Who said that?​

Cried the day before I got Flipo purely because we got the horsebox and reality hit me - I was getting a horse! Thought I'd do the same the moment we drove away from the RS with Flipo in the box. Nope. No tears. Just shock and worry. ....And this is how I spent the whole of August. Worrying.
About getting him vaccinated, getting him wormed, finding a farrier, that the grass would be to rich, that he'd end up with colic, laminitis, that he would be lonely, that he would break out of the field, blah blah blah. :rolleyes:

My priority after getting the vet out was to get Flipo's feet some attention as they were in a pretty poor state. Our main problem however, was that Flipo doesn't like lifting his feet. He just stomps them back down (if you can encourage him to lift one in the first place). We worked on it for the whole of August, I couldn't pick any out at first, just held them up by his feathers working up the time from 5-10-20 seconds. I then started picking out his near side. Still couldn't pick out his off side cause I'm right handed and I wasn't confident.

Found a farrier (after calling three), a new guy who had just qualified. He arrived and immediately commented on Flipo's size. I jokingly reminded him that I had warned him of his breeding on the phone and the farrier told me he didn't normally deal with heavies, he thought it would just be a cob. Things got worse as Flipo was restless and nervy, my (non horsey) dad tried to help hold him but Flipo was just far too strong and the farrier gave up after half an hour and alot of sweat. I wasn't very happy with how he dealt with Flip and knew I would have to find a new farrier.

Meanwhile to help us bond I groomed him, walked him out in hand (in a headcollar:(), sat and read my book with him, and pooh picked incessantly. Somehow I decided he wasn't drinking enough and was possibly afraid of the water trough so started filling a bucket of water for him. Now I think he just got lazier and went to the bucket rather than the trough.

I fielded lots of queries from 'interested' people. The field was 5 miles from my house so I was the stranger renting from a farmer. I would go to check my horse and be greeted by concerned locals questioning my intentions, giving me some advice or telling me what I could or couldn't do. I can be a bit of a recluse at times and am happy pottering around in my own company, I know they didn't really mean any harm but it was a strain. I ended up with no where to ride because there was a farm up the road and the owners would 'prefer not to have their horses disturbed'. Fair dos, but made life difficult as the only other option was hacking in one particular field or going out on the main road, something I wasn't ready for yet.

So with his feet in 'better' condition we had our first hack out. That went well. I couldn't take my old pony out alone, he would nap like you wouldn't believe so this is what it's all about. We even had a wee trot on the way back to our field. Bliss

SP_A0106.jpg

This was taken just before our second hack. Note the crazy eye!!

I will never repeat this hair do, purely because it wasn't fun watching him trot away from me back towards the main road with those stupid pony tails. I fell off on the way down the potato field. He saw something in the bushes, refused to move, jumped sideways and I fell off. He then ran back a safe distance with me struggling to chase after him and eventually put his head down to eat. I, being the fatty that I am, can't mount from the ground so had to lengthen my stirrup as far as it would go and force myself back on, pulling the saddle round slightly. I was determined that our second outing wasn't going to end with him thinking 'ah that's how to get rid of her.'

I proudly recounted this tale to my friends and family, telling them that the only difference between this and when I was younger is that now I could have a drink to help dull the pain! I shrugged it off, remembering that saying when you were a kid 'you're not a real rider until you've fallen off 10, no 20, no 50, no 100 times'. The only thing that was worrying me was that he ran after I fell off. I want one of those horses who just immediately puts his head down and thinks FOOD!

So lessons learnt in August -
1. Need a Heavy-friendly farrier
2. Perseverence with picking up feet pays off very quickly
3. Willy's are not easy to clean
4. I need to get fit so I can chase this horse and get back on (if need be)

Hair009.jpg

SP_A0106.jpg
[/CENTER]

So lessons learnt in August -
1. Need a Heavy-friendly farrier
2. Perseverence with picking up feet pays off very quickly
3. Willy's are not easy to clean
4. I need to get fit so I can chase this horse and get back on (if need be)

Ive left the pics in because I have to say, I think, apart from Rosie of course, Flipo is THE most gorgeous horse on NR.

Just wanted to say great story, Im recognising all those little emotional moments, worries and successes and am looking forward to hearing more :D

LOL at lessons learnt in August!

i look forward to reading your diary with interest! i pondered about starting one on here however as i dont ride (even though i am perfectly capable and have a gorgeous pink harry hall riding hat!) it would be boring! i think my problem is even though i am in no way nervous i havent ridden for a year and in the years before that picked up some very bad habbits i know i need lessons and im a wuss when it comes to bein critasized!! i need to magic a qualified instructor with a horse that needs "rideing properly" who happens to also be a good friend who i dont mind being chritisised by! and as indies unbroken my riding wont be improved on my own neddie any time soon!! hope everything is well with flip! HES A STUNNER!!!!

i pondered about starting one on here however as i dont ride (even though i am perfectly capable and have a gorgeous pink harry hall riding hat!) it would be boring!

Go start that diary Dannii - i think the diaries are not for other people but for yourself to record your own (and your horse's if you have one) journey. Other people reading them is a sideline not the main event!

ya know what annareeves0 i might just do that!!
your right its to record mine and indias progress not other peoples opinions!! thankyouu x

I agree Danni, it was reading Anna's collection of posts that got me thinking about doing this. Sorry Anna I think I might be ** virtual stalker, apart from Rosie's obvious good looks, (it's the colour!!) I like the way u write about your experiences so far, honest and very real - god that sounds cheesy, sorry!! Already I'm in a very different place than five months ago and I want to remember all the pain and silly things so I can see how far Flip and I are getting.
Ditto with regards to bad habits, I never had any real lessons so the language is slightly foreign as well as all the correct aids to use. I think it would be nice to hear about your 'wee' girl's nursery years and see her hair dos aswell. Everyones got a book in them.

Oh and willies willies willies willies.:eek: I would edit and correct my grammar but then that wouldn't erase it completely cause you quoted me Anna!!:p

Keep going - I am loving this! And have a wee look at my (very out of date) blog.;)

Although - you lot think you have it with your blondes - blonde is sooooo last year - cant beat a nice coloured;) - I dont mind you two having the runner up best lookers on NR:D

Awh SM, I'm sure Arnie would love to have his hair dyed the same as Rosie and Flipo's, then he could join the blondy club!!:p
Had a look at your blog, whatever happened to that lady you jumped over - that is mental?!

Ah Skippys Mum - I read your blog a long time ago but have just gone back to it and having been really laughing out loud and have tears streaming down my cheeks at your jumping stories - I particularly love the one about jumping over the old lady. My husband has come out to see what all the rumpus about and it took me 10 minutes to tell him as i was laughing so much. I have this fabulous mental image of a little old lady with her bloomers showing, hat, handbag and sensible coat and all, upside down in a ditch while you jump them both, one or both of you screaming all the way! Thats absolutely priceless - thank you :D

September 2009

FlipoonIphone026.jpg

Flip Flop's Highland Cow Look​

This is when the 'I told you so' season started. Sorry, its a long one.:eek:

I come from a family that lives the mantra 'if in doubt, don't'. After graduating I have spent my 20's being incredibly careful. So careful that nothing has happened. I've had the same horrible job, same life, day after day and I've just waited and saved for the economy to improve so I could buy a house, find the perfect job, etc. Don't get me wrong, I've not sat on my ass. I went back to do my masters while working full time. I worked three jobs and did voluntary work to try to get some experience in my chosen field before pursuing another postgrad (which I haven't yet been able to do). I've kept busy but all of this has contributed to me feeling pretty fed up with myself. I've lost my confidence, self esteem and ability to make any decisions on my own and buying Flipo was probably a lot about trying to do something for me that wasn't about my career. Nothing particularly bad has happened so I'm not looking for sympathy, but then nothing particularly good has happened either. You can't spend your life waiting for your life to get started.

(Sorry about the philosophy.)

Buying Flipo was a decision I made entirely on my own. I was warned about all the things that could go wrong. Illness, losing the field, career progression, weight of commitment, moving and the rest. It was a rather poignant discussion some colleagues were having about a paraplegic lady who had resolved to row round the coast of the UK that got me thinking. I distinctly remember my boss saying 'well it just shows you that if you're determined enough, you can do what you want.' That made me sit up and think, f***sake, I can do this, and if something goes wrong I will deal with it. Anyway, having had ponies before, I already knew the level of commitment I was expected to have (and I pride myself on being pretty damn reliable)..... What I had totally forgotten was that the first year of horse ownership is especially tough. I don't think I could be someone who buys a new horse every other year. I'm looking to build a long term relationship where I understand my horse's every thought and move. Clearly Flipo and I are a long way from achieving this. My mum reminded me that we didn't leave the field for the first six months of owning my old ponies, and although a lot of that was probably down to age, I decided it wouldn't hurt to keep to the safety of his field for a little while longer.

An experienced friend came and rode him out and Flipo was ok, but she did have to use a lot of leg to give him confidence. We now think he may not have been hacked out alone very often (contrary to what I naively believed when I bought him). Well prepared that I had some trust building to do, I persevered in the field. Unfortunately Flipo performed the well known spin and run trick in response to a noisy trailer during our next schooling session. Cue head dive from me. I've got a high pain threshold but Superman's accident makes me worry more than when I was younger and at that moment I really started to question how bombproof my new horse is. I got back on and to keep me calm, my friend had me recite the whole Norwich Union Home Insurance Policy Booklet (how sad is that).

So I ended up in a situation where I couldn't ride my horse alone, and the fact that I'd fallen off in the field meant I was practically hyperventilating at the thought of getting on him again. Why put yourself through it all? Flipo now didn't seem quite as cute as I'd previously thought.

FlipoonIphone017.jpg

Around this time I posted on NR for the first time - rather emotionally - and received some lovely advice and support. Whilst my non horsey friends and family suggested I should call the dealer, everyone on NR said work on it and make some changes (thankyou:eek:!)
http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201881

One thing at a time.
The back man came to investigate his hoof lifting phobia and offside stiffness. He didn't find anything out of the ordinary but watching him interact with my boy was very reassuring. He had such a fantastically kind and fun way of working with horses and he really got on well with Flip. It made me realise that he possibly wasn’t the crazy, wild beast I'd thought, perhaps instead just a big, sweet natured and genuine wimp.

The day after the back man worked his magic Flipo was walking lame. Mental that these days I can video the limp on my phone and keep track of how bad it was getting. Someone suggested abscess. After all the horrible rain (which I stood in, singing to Flip), dealing with an abscess in all that mud was going to be hell. Luckily that was the weekend that I got a spot at a livery yard 12 miles from my house, right beside my friend’s horses. The upshot was that Flip got some horsey company and I get a horsey mentor, but a rather long round trip to see my boy proved just how committed I am. I also learnt the pony nuts box loading technique that day.

So how do you get a 750kg horse who doesn’t like lifting his feet, to pick them up so the vet can root around to find the source of pain and then stab a hole in it? No problem, if your horse is a woose. Lying on his side, complete with laboured breathing, Flipo stayed down for the majority of the poking about the vet had to do. He got up just as the vet was sharpening the blade (yikes!) but he managed it. The tricky bit was then dressing the abscess for the next three weeks. There is no nappy big enough to cater for Flipo’s hooves, and they aren’t as big as a Shire or Clydesdale so I sympathise with anyone in this predicament.

The top photo has Flipo sporting the lovely equiboot. £40 and lost twice, very difficult to put on. Cue a great deal of time spent searching for the damn thing. I had to pen him in to a small area and cart buckets as it kept getting stuck in the marsh where the water trough was.

Next picture two, the slightly more reliable plastic sack and duct tape dressing. Perfectly feasible as long as two people are available to help put it on. otherwise headcollars and leadropes are broken. Somehow it was impossible to get Flip to put his hoof down dead centre on the plastic sack without him moving it straight afterwards. Cue more crying on my part.

Flip002-1.jpg

The Little Milk Maid​

Picture three, the canvas boot, hands down the best option (I now have four spare ones). The only remaining issue was that every time I cleaned the hoof he slammed it down in the mud and I had to start again. I am now a pro at abscess dressing a foot shy blonde. An old towel incase he puts his hoof down and duct tape over the Velcro fastening (that strap doesn’t fit round 11inches of bone). Oh and some pony nuts. Job done. By the way, the pleats were cruelly done by my mate who came to hold Flip while I was dealing with the abscess.

So overall, painful falls, moves and abscesses didn’t make things feel like we’d had a good start. However visiting Flipo just before and straight after work made my day much more bearable and I now know that I couldn’t have made a better decision to move him when I did. It just goes to show, you can avoid taking chances just because something ‘might’ go wrong. When push comes to shove, if you do take the chance and things go belly up, you cope.:cool:

Lessons learnt this month –
1. Flipo loves pony nuts (used only as a bribe on occasion), but hates polo mints
2. I need to redevelop a balanced, deep seat to instill confidence and trust in my horse when riding.
3. Flipo enjoys willy cleaning a little bit more thant I would have hoped - why am I still single?:D
4. Some things I just can’t do on my own.
5. My horse is a woose

I am soooo loving this thread - one moment I am 'Oh dear, poor you, what next' the next minute I am giggling at your misfortune:eek: Please forgive me tis only because I have actually been in your situation more times than I care to think about and with time it does become amusing to look back on - believe me!;) I think you are stuck with this guy for the rest of his life - it does get better I promise - my hairy old reformed truculent heavy weight (now 18 and retired) was exactly like Flipo.

Next instalment please???:D

Cortrasna I'm counting on it all coming good, its encouraging to hear you've been through it and come out the other side so I'm glad your amused, I hope to be in your shoes some day!! If it doesn't though be prepared that I will come and swap my horse for yours some time in the future!:D
Then I'll be the one laughing (hehe!!)

Thanks "Ria:eek:, I'm off work at the mo and with the weather I am attached to my laptop so will have a go at it tomorrow. I'm gonna get NR withdrawal when I go back to work.

newrider.com