Aramis is starting to look a little fat

Sep 16, 2004
Land of Leeds
Visit site
Well, i noticed she had a bit of a belly on her from the front tonight, and i swear its getting bigger! She moved fields 2 weeks ago, it has more grass, but it isnt the best grass you can get yet it is pretty good, and nice and big with only 3 horses in it.

Anyway, i think feeding her the bute doesnt help. Obviously in order to mix it in i have to mix it with a bit of feed, i give her literally a handful (one hand) of cool mix and a cup of hoof supplement. I dont see how the small amount of mix, which is only once a day can make her fat. She isnt massive, only a little tubby yet it doesnt help if im trying to build up muscle to help her bone spavin. She is brought in every night for an hour before she's ridden. She's fed the bute at the start of the hour so it doesnt upset her tummy. In between though i give her hay, and she munches it down. Do you think all this hay is giving her the belly as well? Im a bit soft and dont want to leave her stood there in her stable with no food and nothing to do :rolleyes:.

Is she ok having hay just before she's ridden?

A belly is fine, it's usualy an increase is gut size due to increased fibre content. And relaxed stomach muscles makes it look worse. It's the rest of her you need to have a look at - her bum, ribs and crest.

Why are you giving a mix with the bute? it's only high energy rocket fuel ot some horses. You'd be much better giving a chaff so she feels she's getting more. And she can be worked much sooner - they can work almost straight away after a small fibre meal.

Do keep the hay though - it'll help her feel more chilled and relaxed (constantly eating keeps them calm) and stops her getting grumpy. But maybe put it into a small holled or double hay net so she doesn't get as much.

Can't you bring her in and feed her hay as opposed to leaving her out all day. I've bought a net with small holes in it so bry can't eat her hay as fast.

Try apple cidar vinegar, Bry wouldn't eat her CALMAG in hi-fi untill I started mixing that in and now she wolfs it down. Besides ACV is menat to be benificial to horses with Aramis's types of condition.

Bobbin said:
Can't you bring her in and feed her hay as opposed to leaving her out all day. I've bought a net with small holes in it so bry can't eat her hay as fast.

I personally wouldn't keep her in for any longer than is necessary because every little bit of movement she does will help her bone spavin. The youngster on our yard who has it is much improved (although a really bad case all the same) since they have been chucked out for 18 hours a day rather than 6.

I agree with trying things like apple cider vinegar, apple juice, mint (you can get it from the Simple Systems company - its called Justamint) as alternatives to get her to eat her chaff rather than mix. And small holed haynets.

newrider.com