Anyone using copper nails?

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
Today I have tried them for the first time,

Mare has had an ongoing touch of WLD, nothing too bad, just annoying black nail holes. Anyone noticed any difference?

I dont personally but farrier who does work horses has started by chance as they sent him the wrong ones, and my farrier uses them with a handful of his horses. Work farrier is just getting round to 2nd set of shoes with them, has changed 1 set and said he thought there was a slight improvement in the nail holes.
My farrier uses them for horses on his books with ongoing problems,he does alot of remedial shoeing and he says they have being making a difference to the ones with poor horn quality and problems with WLD and he is confident it's the copper nails helping so is carrying on using them with horses he feels will benefit.
Both said it adds a few £ onto a shoeing so nothing extortionate and definitely worth a try in their eyes.

Reactions: Jessey
Me :) well Belle actually, second set with them and they definitely help with the black holes. Farrier says loads of his clients are using them now and he's seen some quite dramatic improvement in some of the horses. I only asked about them as I had read about them recently and was curious, he didn't offer them for Belle as she's no problem, but I figured prevention is better than cure as it were, cost me £4 extra per set so not breaking the bank either.

Reactions: Jessey
I was surprised how cheap they were, last lot of nails I bought I just bought copper ones, except the road nails.

posy has them, she had a touch of WLD brewing up so thought it would do her no harm to have them. Her farrier charged £3 per foot for copper nails extra

newrider.com