Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Anyone else travelled saddled up?

Discussion in 'Transport and Travelling' started by Lissie, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Lissie

Lissie Well-Known Member

As title, do anyone of you travel horse with saddle on when you load up? I started doing this for hunting this season and sometimes chuck him on the trailer with saddle on if it's raining or know I won't have much time when I get to the venue. A few people have said they feel sorry for him and look at me like I'm a lazy bad mother but it's a lot easier when you haven't got time to faff about. Horse loads himself and travels very well, he's got plenty of room too, 14.3hh in a ifor Williams 505. He has rug over saddle too. I don't travel with his bride on.

2. Silvia

Silvia Active Member

I don't. I would worry about my saddle getting ruined.

3. squidsin

squidsin Well-Known Member

All the hunting people I know do.

4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Lissie

Lissie Well-Known Member

Rug over saddle and he literally doesn't move when travelling, you have check he's still there :p He's tiny too so enough room

6. MrC

MrC https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/

I do. Cover over saddle then rug over the top :) only for short distances or if I'm pressed for time on the other side :)

7. KP nut

KP nut Horsey problems: caused by ego; solved by gravity

Yes, I travelled Cally saddled with a saddle cover sometimes.

8. Lissie

Lissie Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not the only one! I only do it short journeys and he doesn't seem to mind.

9. newforest

newforest I don't want a Prince, I just want his horse

We have done. But I wouldn't now. I don't want to damage my saddle and my stirrups stick out.

10. Lollykay

Lollykay Member

I wouldn't do it ut, I know a lot of well seasoned trail horses that get saddled up at home and walk off the trailer ready to go.

That is also common in the western states of the U.S. Where cattle ranches are huge and horses sometimes get carried from one ranch to another, and have to hit the ground ready to go to work.

11. Bodshi

Bodshi Well-Known Member

Personally I never have, but only because I've never felt the need. I can tack up on the box in bad weather and it's as quick to tack up when we arrive as it is before we travel because he's generally good at events and doesn't fidget about or anything. He's also rather accident prone so all in all I prefer not to. I know a lot do though, and I always think they are really efficient and look very professional!

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties