Another step closer to 'that' canter...

HairyCob

Has anyone seen my mind?
Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
Had a brilliant session tonight with me on Dolly and ChickyD on Jasper... that girl is sneaky I tell you, sneaky!

She text'd to see if I wanted to ride tonight, and of course I did, assuming we were going out for one of our usual mid-week ploddy hacks.

Get to the yard and tack up and 'oh so casually' she say's 'we could just ride in the five acre' with that tone of voice that made me think she didn't really fancy hacking out...:)

So having briefly shook inside from the thought of riding in the field with another horse and then given my self a stern 'talking to' I said, "OK, no problem but NO CANTERING...."

Off we go into the five acre, and I begin my usual 'boring' schooling around my 'imaginary school' in the middle... Chicky just wanders off nice and casual on Jasper, and begins doing some schooling round the edges of the field.

Dolly was working quite well and listening, so I risked doing some trot work- she continued to listen and do as I asked, always aware of where Jasper was but making no attempt to go with him.

Then I got really brave and whilst I thought Chicky wasn't looking, I cantered her up the 'long' side, and she came back to trot when I asked :D :D So I changed the rein and risked it on the other rein too... and although slightly more excitable and needing a bit more 'telling' to come back, Dolly did come back to trot when asked!

I was chuffed to bits and carried on riding Dolly round the 'school' at walk and trot when the next thing I know, Chicky is cantering Jasper across the field :eek: Needless to say my legs went to Jelly and lunch nearly made an unscheduled re-appearance, but I forced myself to relax and concentrate on what I was asking of Dolly at the time and she didn't bat an eyelid... even when Jasper cantered up behind her:D :D

To finish off, Chicky and I 'hacked' round the 5acre together and although Dolly by this time was a little 'on her toes' she wasn't difficult to hold and did walk when asked.

So... it may not sound like much but to me it feels like a MASSIVE step in the right direction:D

HUGE thanks to ChickyD, who really is a sneaky cow, but seems to instinctively 'know' how far I can be pushed, and takes me there sucessfully every time:D

Fantastic news HC:D :D And what a good girl Dolly:D

I have a 'friend' like that;) :p She makes me go into forests, and over ditches and through trees:eek: Seriously, give me an open space any day. But it's the same sense of achievement when we do it I guess:) I'll thank her in the long run, even though she terrifies me!

That truly is the best news :D ! you just needed to make this step to get you to where you were last year and now you know you are back to that point, you can slowly inch yourself forward (with the help of ChickyD, whether you like it or not it seems.... ;) good girl!!!) and you should be at least doing a few small canters out, even if they are short/slow/solo/whatever. Every little helps! Noone says it will be quick.. confidence takes a while to come back, but your confidence in Miss Dolly has been justified and hopefully this trust will help you to succeed!

Just keep smiiiiiiiiiiiiling! will keep you nice and relaxed and will remind you that THIS IS FUUUUN! :D :D

Brill news! That's EXACTLY the kind of thing you need to be doing to keep adding bricks to your wall of confidence. It's all about knowing you can stop Dolly when you want to, isn't it.

I know how delighted you will be from your achievements and therefore I'm THRILLED for you hun xxxxx

Go you.....can I just say aswell that I am hugely jealous that you can school Dolly in an open field. Not a chance of doing that with Bry I am afraid.

Maybe thats something I need to work on:eek:

I can only dream of cantering in a field - mayone one day I will get there. I too have a friend like yours - she is really great and has gently pushed me beyond my comfort zone many times without me really knowing it. What would we do without friends?

Fantastic HC :D

What a good girl Dolly was to keep listening to her mum in a big field while her friend went off, I know a lot of horses who wouldn't do that :)

Oh and well done sneaky Chicky :p

Claire that is fantastic. Wow you have come a long way. Great work. Keep it up. I'm beaming for you :D

newrider.com