And we’re there...

Had a nice ride this morning, my friends trailered over to join us. We timed it just right to get out between the showers!

IMG_8559.jpeg
He was very quiet today, a welcome break from his recent edginess! I think the torrential rain over night, mad galloping around the field this morning and going out at nap time contributed 🤣

• Love
Reactions: Huggy
I forgot to update his diary over the weekend, I can't even remember why I didn't ride on Saturday, but schooled in the field on Sunday. Only a short session but he was good.

Last night I lunged in the field in the dark with a head torch, the ground was frozen so it was only a walk trot session but he was better than I expected. When I arrived he was full of it, cantering around, pinging, rolling, bucking, but he settled straight to work which says he was a bit cold, so I popped his heavy rug back on after.

I procrastinated too much this afternoon and didn’t get on board until almost 4.40, but had our best schooling yet. I don’t think there was anything particularly different, just that the penny finally dropped! He was forward and willing 👌 it was a bit dark by the time we got done at 5.
IMG_8583.jpeg

• Wow
Out for a little hack today, I wasn’t feeling very purposeful so we just went and played around in the 200 acres closest to home for about an hour and a quarter.
IMG_8584.jpeg
We did a few laps of the old marl pit with fallen logs all around it, trying to get Monkey to jump, and we got 1 almost but he mostly just trots over them 🤣 then we wandered along the river and found a little trail we both liked the look of, there was a pretty big fox set in the bank at the bottom. Then we took a really tight winding track we like to trot along,
IMG_8586.jpeg
We stopped halfway along to investigate another little trail, but it went no where so we went back to the windy one and finished that, then broke trail through a bit of woods that’s difficult to get through most of the year as it’s rough ground with holes and logs everywhere and is normally covered in deep bracken. Then had a nice canter on the way home 😁

It was a lovely ride, very chilled and it was even sunny for part of it 👌😁

• Love
Reactions: Bodshi and Huggy
Went out with our neighbour today for almost 3 hours to a bit of forest Monkey hasn’t been to before, we had a lovely time although it was much busier than I expected so we met dozens of cyclists, runners and walkers, plus there’s been work in that bit of the forest so some of the tracks were pretty chewed up, but it was so nice to be somewhere different.

IMG_8587.jpegIMG_8589.jpegIMG_8592.jpeg
Monkey was a rock star too, which makes it all so much more enjoyable 🥰

Finally got a ride today, I walked the first half mile expecting him to be very excitable and getting past the various fields of horses and the building site can be a challenge for him, but he was actually really chilled. Hopped on and did 4.5 miles in the sunshine, just what I needed!
IMG_8642.jpegIMG_8646.jpeg
We had some lovely long trots and a few cobweb blowing canters 🥰 oh how I can’t wait for more of these days.

• Love
We had a nice ride today but not as chilled. As we got ready in the barn the house opposite lit a fire and were breaking things to put on it, all the snaps and cracks had Monkey jumping out of his skin and whirling around, then as we walked up the drove everyone was out in their gardens banging and crashing fixing fences and sheds, but these are all behind a long tall wall or tall fences so Monkey couldn’t see them and it unnerved him all the more and he didn’t really settle for the 2 hours we were out 😔 not bad, just anxious.
IMG_8647.jpegIMG_8649.jpegIMG_8650.jpegIMG_8654.jpeg
When we got home they both enjoyed some naked time on a better paddock, there was lots of rolling and satisfied munching 🥰
IMG_8663.jpeg

We had a nice ride today but not as chilled. As we got ready in the barn the house opposite lit a fire and were breaking things to put on it, all the snaps and cracks had Monkey jumping out of his skin and whirling around, then as we walked up the drove everyone was out in their gardens banging and crashing fixing fences and sheds, but these are all behind a long tall wall or tall fences so Monkey couldn’t see them and it unnerved him all the more and he didn’t really settle for the 2 hours we were out 😔 not bad, just anxious.
View attachment 121327View attachment 121328View attachment 121329View attachment 121330
When we got home they both enjoyed some naked time on a better paddock, there was lots of rolling and satisfied munching 🥰
View attachment 121331
He does look rather alert!

Reactions: Jessey
Monkey was in a strange mood yesterday, not spooky per se, but away with the fairies and distracted! While I was tacking up (he was tied up) he must have walked/knocked into me 5 times, too busy looking way off yonder.

I decided to lunge before schooling him to try and get his attention, and he ended up doing 25 minutes of mostly trot before he really looked at me, then we did about 20 minutes of walk/trot schooling, not particularly brilliantly because he was then tired!

Hopefully today is better 🤞

Reactions: Bodshi and Huggy
Perfect ride today 🥰 I wasn’t feeling it before, Monkey is normally a bit of a tit after the week off and I’m tired and stressed, but I knew I needed it.

I had something to do this morning so I chucked the big ones out on a fresh paddock of grass for 3 hours, and the full belly made Monkey so chilled it was great! 😁

The sun was shining, a gentle warm breeze and hardly anyone in the forest so we had a lovely chilled ride with the birds chirping and nothing much else 🥰

IMG_8714.jpegIMG_8717.jpeg

Only downer is the midges and mosquitoes have come out to play early 😣 they’re getting in anywhere they’re less furry, poor kids have sore raw bits already and I hadn’t even thought about buying fly spray or new masks for this year yet.
IMG_8713.jpeg

Another brilliant ride today, Monkey is in a great place, calm, willing and to my absolute relief really seems to be enjoying going out 🥰 he was so hesitant for so long I wondered if he’d get here, but a few miles out today and he asked to go further away from home several times 👌 and he was moving out brilliantly the whole time, even threw in a couple of wey-hey bucks as he was having fun 😁

IMG_8726.jpegIMG_8738.jpegIMG_8740.jpegIMG_8741.jpeg
This little wood is a carpet of snow drops at the moment, it smelled amazing!
IMG_8744.jpegIMG_8748.jpeg
If only this weather would hold but there’s a few days of rain forecast now, boo!

A ride of 2 halves today, he went out very anxious, so busy looking for monsters and with his handbrake on, he kept slipping in the mud and falling over his own feet up the drove. So we picked up the pace a bit in the forest and he very quickly settled into it, and we had lots of fun.
IMG_8760.jpeg
I actually remembered to turn on Equilab part way out, I wish I could remember every time!
IMG_8769.png
After we got home I chucked them back out, but they were quite confused by me walking out (my car was in for work today) so we’re looking at me hopefully 🤣
IMG_8764.jpeg

• Love
A ride of 2 halves today, he went out very anxious, so busy looking for monsters and with his handbrake on, he kept slipping in the mud and falling over his own feet up the drove. So we picked up the pace a bit in the forest and he very quickly settled into it, and we had lots of fun.
View attachment 121574
I actually remembered to turn on Equilab part way out, I wish I could remember every time!
View attachment 121576
After we got home I chucked them back out, but they were quite confused by me walking out (my car was in for work today) so we’re looking at me hopefully 🤣
View attachment 121575
What a fab pic!

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com