And it was all going so well....Strangles :-(

People really go into panic mode when they hear the word strangles. I can imagine the reaction you've had. Yep ignore the lynch mob you have handled this very well, you got the vet out at the first signs, informed the necessary people immediately and now informing everyone else. You've done nothing wrong so if they've got a problem that's their problem not yours. Pleased to hear Amber is fine and hopefully Oscar recovering and getting back to his cheeky self.

People panic when strangles is mentioned yes, but personally I think k you should be commended for reacting so quickly to it and for being honest and informing everyone. Ignore the lynch mob hun, they'll find someone else to pick on soon enough, you have done nothing wrong and everything right from my point of view. Glad to hear that Oscar is on the mend and Amber is ok.
If anyone needs naming and shaming in this it's the dealer who sold her to you...

You did everything right. Horrors, hard I know but try to ignore them - most of them wouldn't have handled it half as well if had been one of their horses. And at least Oscar is on the mend. Chin up...

Chin up! On one yard I was at, people reacted hysterically when a new horse on the yard turned out to have ringworm, so I can just imagine the lynch mob getting their pitchforks out over strangles! If your yard was that fussed, they should have had a strangles testing policy in place for all new horses. It's on them that they haven't as it's not picked up in a vetting. As you know, I had to get Angel (and Roxy) tested when I moved her to their current yard and at the time I thought it was an expensive PITA but seeing what you're going through, I get the point of it now!

Well, I think this may have even popped up on my FB feed - may not be your yard but one of my FB friends has commented on a post about Strangles in your neck of the woods. Glad to say there are only a couple of hysterical comments, most are from much more level headed folk saying that all necessary precautions have been taken and it's just one of those things.

Has Amber been confirmed as a carrier then? (Still hoping one of the other horses may be a carrier, preferably one belonging to one of the finger-pointers - what karma it would be to see the tables turned on them).

I'm very sorry this has happened to you, but as others have said it will blow over, be a nine-day-wonder, whatever. Be happy that you have done the right thing. It's those people who decide to keep quiet and risk the health of other horses that should be shot.

I find it hard to believe that the dealer was aware that Amber is a carrier (if she is). I wouldn't have thought he would have kept her and risked an outbreak on his yard - after all it's an inconvenience for most people, but to a dealer it's their livelihood.

Glad Oscar is recovering. Hope you are feeling better now.

How does anyone know it was Amber that brought it? It could have been Casper?
What has dealer said because you will have had to let him know as well.
And the company who transported you, unless you drove yourselves.

Everywhere does go into lock down and shows are cancelled. We had a herpes virus outbreak I think it was locally.

How annoying for you. I do understand the hysteria though. We had a case of strangles 40 miles away, and some local show centres here were cancelling their shows. Another yard ask for you to disclose where to keep your horse so that they can check every competitor to make sure there are no suspected strangles cases. It's crazy the panic it causes.

My yard was on lockdown for 6 months as there were several cases and we had to wait till all horses were clear and treatment was finished. It was before I arrived, but no-one was allowed to leave or come in.

I hope that it all blows over soon. xx

Thanks guys. @Bodshi you're right about the dealer probably not knowing. I was just feeling cynical when the SECOND horse turned out to have problems. But who knows he may have had no idea.
And no it may not even have been her.
As for FB I have logged out and won't go back on till its all over.
No great loss.

Thanks guys. @Bodshi you're right about the dealer probably not knowing. I was just feeling cynical when the SECOND horse turned out to have problems. But who knows he may have had no idea.
And no it may not even have been her.
As for FB I have logged out and won't go back on till its all over.
No great loss.
I don't do FB and this is just one of the reasons why, very easy for people to attack someone over the Internet, makes them feel brave!
I'm glad you've logged out, they can all rant away to their hearts content without it getting to you.
For what it's worth I imagine anyone who takes their horse anywhere runs the risk of their horse catching something however careful we are, to my mind it's abit like chicken pox I imagine, infectious before there is even any clinical symptoms.
Keep your chin up chick. x

I have to say I hadn't thought about the points that newforest mentions...of course you will have to inform the dealer and the transporter if you used one. I suppose it is better to start out assuming the dealer didn't/doesn't know and he needs to be made aware. Although I have to say I suspect if it is either Caspar or Amber that have brought it with them...he probably does know. :mad:

Chin up! On one yard I was at, people reacted hysterically when a conew horse on the yard turned out to have ringworm, so I can just imagine the lynch mob getting their pitchforks out over strangles! If your yard was that fussed, they should have had a strangles testing policy in place for all new horses. It's on them that they haven't as it's not picked up in a vetting. As you know, I had to get Angel (and Roxy) tested when I moved her to their current yard and at the time I thought it was an expensive PITA but seeing what you're going through, I get the point of it now!

Completed agree with this statement

And pony club have also cancelled........ SWIMMING. (Part of tetrathlon).
Glad to see they are maintaining a healthy perspective on matters :rolleyes:

The yard folk are being great though. I have been given chocolates, flowers, texts, hugs and loads of support from everyone. It's Out There that is a problem but I am ignoring all that now.

One day this will all just be a memory! I do hope the YO introduces entry testing now though.

Its absolutely not your fault. The hysteria part hummm, well folk do over react but having seen a seriously ill pony who was suffering with huge open sores and pustules on his jaw and neck it’s understandable that people are scared. How crazy to have cancelled swimming though?! seriously? ?

newrider.com